51 (edited by MetalSonicCD 2017-03-06 15:20:45)

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

You know I'm kind of curious why in the Metal Sonic boss fight Metal Sonic is huge, and so is Fang in his fight. It would have been cooler to have a race with Metal Sonic than a circular arena and you just jump in to him.

Would a level where you could race MS even be possible? I can only imagine a layout that's mostly straight paths moving down the Z axis, like the camera is always behind Sonic and he's running forward. Or maybe something like before the fight Sonic has to go through a level super fast while Metal shoots lasers or blows stuff up trying to stop Sonic, and at the end you fall in to the Arena.

If something like that would be possible, I could try to make up a layout, but I'm not very artistic.

Yeah, I was going to do a Metal Sonic race before the boss fight for sure! It'll be a combination of running away from the screen and also left and right like was done in CD. Also for a layout you don't really need to be artistic, even if you use just black and white cubes or tiles if doing a 2d layout, than that works ! Lets see what you can do ! be creative !

AXSX Lead

Will do big_smile

54 (edited by MetalSonicCD 2017-03-06 19:13:42)

Andrew75 wrote:

Yeah, I was going to do a Metal Sonic race before the boss fight for sure! It'll be a combination of running away from the screen and also left and right like was done in CD. Also for a layout you don't really need to be artistic, even if you use just black and white cubes or tiles if doing a 2d layout, than that works ! Lets see what you can do ! be creative !

Well I spent around an hour and a half working on this "level design". If you have any questions on it I can try to elaborate, but I tried to explain shit by typing up segments I thought might be especially terrible. If it wasn't for the love I have for AXSX and X-treme, I would have trashed this, but I figure I'd do it just for you andrew <3

http://imgur.com/a/8eT2o

Cool ! this is a very interesting concept!  can understand it very well actually . but yeah, I may use some ideas from this for sure!
The part with the lava pit is also done in the original xtreme but it was in V037 build or rather the E3 video. it seems like a very solid gameplay mechanic, and it feels good while playing in UDK build when I tested it out. and may fit very well in the boss race stage for sure ! but yeah , i'd like to make the level a bit longer and maybe change some things up, hope u don't mind . but this will have to wait till I'm done working on the title screen, which is kinda on hold for the next week cause I'm working on some non Xtreme house project at the moment sadly.
If you want to keep going and add some more stuff since I cant use it right away, than go for it !

AXSX Lead

Andrew75 wrote:

Cool ! this is a very interesting concept!  can understand it very well actually . but yeah, I may use some ideas from this for sure!
The part with the lava pit is also done in the original xtreme but it was in V037 build or rather the E3 video. it seems like a very solid gameplay mechanic, and it feels good while playing in UDK build when I tested it out. and may fit very well in the boss race stage for sure ! but yeah , i'd like to make the level a bit longer and maybe change some things up, hope u don't mind . but this will have to wait till I'm done working on the title screen, which is kinda on hold for the next week cause I'm working on some non Xtreme house project at the moment sadly.
If you want to keep going and add some more stuff since I cant use it right away, than go for it !

Hmm a bit longer?

I could try some other ideas maybe, was there anything specific about my layout that you wanted more/less of? More platforming or puzzles or RADICOOL SNAKE WAYS?

i could do some concept art for a desert level, I think I'll call it.. 
Tumbleweed Turn!

I guess it works.. For the most part.

Lol okay , but keep in mind I'm looking for blank layout ideas for now.

AXSX Lead

Andrew75 wrote:

Lol okay , but keep in mind I'm looking for blank layout ideas for now.

So Andrew if I made some more layouts, is there anything specific that you're looking for, as in like mostly 2 like New paths, or more 3d? I'd like to do some more but I would just like to know what you personally think would fit best. Also, should I try levels with world rotation? I'm still kind of stuck in the VHS mindset, but I can try if you need more levels like it.