1 (edited by meepmeep189 2013-06-02 23:54:50)

Topic: Metal Blade

Been looking over stuff (as i usually do) and I noticed there's a zone called Metal Blade with acts called "Nightmare Bridge," "Sewer Shock" and "Necropolis." I'm going to guess that the Giant Metal Sonic boss battle took place here and so it's an industrial metropolis. Are we going to take all the mini test levels, combining them into 3 big levels, and making our own interpretation of it (somewhat like Blue ocean but we have the levels for that) or just keep it out?

Think these 3 pieces of music go to that stage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWufcxxZV0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4EGDptAAgE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAreEjMqgEY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkn_X_8K4xE

Edit: gonna guess this is Metal's theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HfWKj_sTgE

PunBB bbcode test

Re: Metal Blade

I'm assuming that you're referring to the Metal Sonic fight shown in gameplay pics (or mock ups, whatever they are). I'm 99% sure that those pics depicted a fight taking place in Death Egg. Metal Blade didn't really get too far in development. Death Egg, Cystal Frost, Jade Gully, and Red Sands were the main stages that were worked on the most. Blue Ocean and Metal Blade have next to no finished work.

Second, Chris Senn stated that the music he made (which happens to be the music that is found on the internet) was not a finished product and was, in fact, just something he did to give people an idea of the feel he thought would be good for levels. There's a big chance that a lot of that music wouldn't have been in the finished product since he wasn't the music director for the game.

Third, I don't know how much of the music you've listened to but all of the tracks you linked are from Death Egg (to the best of my knowledge). I can upload a .RAR file with all the music. It's on the internet already but most of it is sorted in separate folders for each world, where I just put them all in one folder and named them according to which worlds they were in. Metal Blade's tracks were (again, to the best of my knowledge): Dark Roads, Necropolis, Nightmare Bridge, Black Harbor, Smog Tower, Concrete Pits, Streets of Gold, Shadow Market, Underdrowned, Big Bad Wolf, Assault Station, and Sewer Shock.

You're merging two different projects into one timeline. Chris Senn didn't have anything to do with the Metal Sonic boss fight. That was late into production with Coffin's development team working on their "Project Condor".

Chris Senn worked on the PC side of things mostly, with Ofer Alon's PC Engine. It was a much more finished project. (Senn said it only needed a few more months worth of development and it would of been finished.)

The Metal Sonic Boss stage is slightly later than the 718 build that was publicly released. It was a simple test to see how a Boss would work in Sonic Xtreme, nothing more. No story nothing. The Fang Boss stage was developed ready to be shown off at E3 '96, a lot more polished than the Metal Sonic Boss stage, the arena appeared to be much larger and the boss AI was a lot more complex, multiple attacks depending on the current status of the boss stage, etc.

Unfortunately that build was still quite unstable and wasn't fit for a public demonstration at E3. Therefore, the "Empty" boss stage was created as a placeholder. Just Sonic running around an empty room that was the saem size of Metal Sonic's Boss Arena, with a rotating static emerald in the center of the stage with a spiral of rings wrapped around it.

Similar to previous builds of Project Condor, once the countdown timer had reached zero the screen would go black and Sonic would drop down onto the stage again.

I hope that cleared a few things up about the two projects under the Sonic Xtreme name.

There were two versions of the Metal Sonic boss. One in a space setting and one in a metropolis setting.
http://info.sonicretro.org/images/8/86/SonicXtremeMetalSonicpromotional04.jpg
http://info.sonicretro.org/images/3/30/SonicXtremeMetalSonicpromotional05.gif
According to Sonic Retro:

The furthest along in terms of known bosses in the game, Metal Sonic's boss fight was fully programmed into the game, with a rudimentary form of aggressive AI that would charge Sonic the Hedgehog.

But I digress, I was simply asking if we would be including a Metal Blade Zone in our version of Xtreme by combining the empty test levels together or not. As it stands we only have 4 zones with maybe 2 acts in the very least. Blue Ocean and Metal Blade would make it 6.

PunBB bbcode test

Andrew will probably work on the levels that had the most finished (being the big 4) and he might go back and see about coming up with concepts to get the other levels in.

I can see how the city in the background could lead someone to believe Metal Sonic is in Metal Blade. He might very well be due to the fact that the boss engine was developed by a different team than the main game. Thing is there are no metal blade maps that I know of in the leaked def files, and if there are they're not labeled under "METAL" or "BLADE" like the rest of the maps. There also happens to be no backdrop for Metal Blade in the files either. If Metal Sonic were actually in Metal Blade, it would be a lot more work to make Metal Blade from scratch than simply moving Metal Sonic to Death Egg.

Granted, with many of the Death Egg levels being unfinished there's a chance Andrew will have extras that could be converted to Metal Blade for the AXSX project. Thing is a lot of those extra levels are very short and are highly incomplete.

Am I saying Metal Blade won't be in? No. Thing is it will be one of the last levels worked on if Andrew chooses to include it since he'll need to either convert unused maps to Metal Blade or make it from scratch (and he did say there would be original work involved, so that's not out of the realm of possibility). I'm personally fine with a 4-level game. Much better than a game that never sees the light of day.

Yeah I have no clue what metal blade would have looked like, but I do know what Sand Gully looked like, it was featured in a few of the conceptual renders,( had caves, mine carts, tracks, a tower) Sand gully was scarped in concept and design in favor of the more Egyptian theme of red sands.
Hopefully Chris Senn can release some more media on Metal blade and a few other areas we have not really had the chance to check out.

Anyways, as it looks now,,,, metal blade will have to be an original zone.

AXSX Lead

I understand that. Hence why I made my suggestion.

the0nlykyd wrote:

I'm personally fine with a 4-level game. Much better than a game that never sees the light of day.

Never said it should be done right away, later on perhaps.

PunBB bbcode test

8 (edited by techdiff 2013-06-06 10:11:13)

Metal Blade ?
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/195/meytalblase.png

im pretty sure this is metal blade its backdrop is unlike anyother

That level was made specifically for magazine screenshots. ( although it could be metal blade) I kind of doubt it.

AXSX Lead

there are alot of "made for magazine screenshots" but realistically how can we belive a team dedicated so much of there time to make levels that dont exist ?

techdiff wrote:

http://sonicology.fateback.com/beta/xtreme/rs2.jpg
what if this tunnel belongs to metal blade instead of red sands !

http://sost.emulationzone.org/sonic_xtreme/other/other4.jpg
to me it kinda matches up i need to find highier quality fotos roll
but it does look like there could be lava in  the tunnel in this picture
also there appears to be other parts of the level in the background
i think the level uses moving bridges to travel to different sections

The tunnel most likely belongs to Sand Gull zone before it was scrapped in favor of red sands.
Sand gully zone had Mine carts and caves.

AXSX Lead

12 (edited by techdiff 2013-06-06 11:39:21)

sand gully or perhaps a saturn version of red sands yikes

edit: i keep trying to imagine this on the sega saturn and i cant see it judging by the madness of the level and detail but then again i think the saturn version was improving greatly in development when early levels such as jade gully and galaxy force tend to be in a strict block format the tunnel in e3 did show a level format i wasnt familiar with for saturn x-treme so maybe they were greatly working up the detail for the saturn version of x-treme before cancellation and thet is saturn red sands in the picture im looking at several pc amd saturn pictures for comairson and i keep leaning towards the pc version.

Sand Gully was scrapped in favor of Red sands,, I have confirmation from Senn himself.
also 2 screenshot made for magazines show the same exact level but with different textures and badnicks, but same geometry, senn confirmation on this as well that the screen def files were made specifically for screenshots..

Edit: check out def files with the name of Screen 1 2 and 3, they are so very small...

AXSX Lead

14 (edited by meepmeep189 2013-06-06 14:51:39)

Yeah I saw those, but Tech does raise a good question, why make small levels just for magazines?

Edit: We may want to move some of this to another topic.

PunBB bbcode test

I had just always thought that Metal Blade was just the name of Robotnick/Eggman's new Death Egg.

^This is my post, and this is my signature <--

mmm, the names for the death egg levels were either Galaxy Fortress or Death Egg. Metal Blade was still in conceptual stages.

PunBB bbcode test

17 (edited by techdiff 2013-06-18 14:20:17)

http://s2.postimg.org/a14iuyk49/image.png
white liner beginner just seeing what i could see big_smile

ediy; id like3 tro see the def file could you post a picturee cool

There's actually a def file for that test level.

PunBB bbcode test

Wait, wasn't there a sort of Metal Blade level and textures released?
From what I know, Metal Blade would've been a city filled with death traps and one level in v37 (release 3) of X-Treme's engine were called "MB-01", "MB-02" and "MB-03" respectively.

At least I think "MB" stands for Metal Blade...

(Also, that street level in RSRC05 could've been that same level, but it could've been "Mad Traffic" from Sonic Twist instead...)

G O T T A   R U N   Q U I C K L Y

BakaBlake wrote:

From what I know, Metal Blade would've been a city filled with death traps and one level in v37 (release 3) of X-Treme's engine were called "MB-01", "MB-02" and "MB-03" respectively.

(Also, that street level in RSRC05 could've been that same level, but it could've been "Mad Traffic" from Sonic Twist instead...)

If your talking about my textures, they're just remakes of what could've been.

If you mean the ones in v37, they're legit but unfinished.

toG E T H E R
insert lyrics here

toonjoey wrote:
BakaBlake wrote:

Yes, I mean the v37 levels.

Andrew75 wrote:

Yeah I have no clue what metal blade would have looked like, but I do know what Sand Gully looked like, it was featured in a few of the conceptual renders,( had caves, mine carts, tracks, a tower) Sand gully was scarped in concept and design in favor of the more Egyptian theme of red sands.
Hopefully Chris Senn can release some more media on Metal blade and a few other areas we have not really had the chance to check out.

Anyways, as it looks now,,,, metal blade will have to be an original zone.

Maybe we can get the city-themed levels that are in the "Original Unmodified Level Files" of v37 and change them to a sort of dark tone. Considering one of the acts would've been "Necropolis" (meaning "city of the dead"), the city would've been pretty dark, barren and gloomy.

toonjoey wrote:
BakaBlake wrote:

Pics Please.  big_smile

SonicXtreme209 wrote:
toonjoey wrote:
BakaBlake wrote:

Pics Please.  big_smile

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php … amp;st=180 (Mad Traffic level)
The MB ones are in release 3 of v37. Think you should go download it.