Topic: Yo,

Hey Everyone. I'm Av, i use to program for the Sega dreamcast (Well. by program i mean create little games and port some like Sega Naomi stuff)

I'm 13
I'm of the male gender
I'm canadian (Yeah, we don't get effected by trump, Nice i think?)
I own a couple animals,
i collect Retro video game consoles (Atari, Atari ST, Sega, Nintendo, Playstaion, ETC)
And i use to do batch alot when i was 8,

That being said i'm excited about the Reboot (and or Remake) of Sonic Xtreme, I was wondering if anyone knew the proper way to go about learning how to program for the Sega Saturn? I'm interested in starting to do minor projects like this but with already existing games, then hopefully programing new games (if possible)

Also, In the TOS or Rules it said something about Creating Images, What does that mean?

Hopefully we can get along togather and do some work togather, ~ Av

Fuck it's been along time since posted something, uh, huh, I really need to help out lmao, I've been too busy making my own Saturn game i haven't really done shit >w>

Re: Yo,

So, Do i sound fairly noobish and unintelligent yet?

Fuck it's been along time since posted something, uh, huh, I really need to help out lmao, I've been too busy making my own Saturn game i haven't really done shit >w>

Welcome to the forums! And no you sound intelligent enough to start making your own fan game.
Unreal 4 is a good engine to start learning with, although its not Saturn, its what I'm using for AXSX! Give it a shot its free. To start programing for the Saturn you'd need a Saturn development kit to do it properly. But you can do it without one.
Check this website out: http://www.rockin-b.de/rockin-b.html

AXSX Lead

4 (edited by toonjoey 2016-10-03 11:23:58)

Heysters (now I sound like I don't dig through my Sonic X-treme archives)!

There is no actual "reboot" of Sonic X-treme. AXSX is just "what could have been".

I'm planning to remake X-treme on the Saturn with all of the concepts either simplified to fit, or implemented with the original test levels...it's kind of big really.

Also it's cool that you're a Dreamcast programmer...you should make a game engine for it. tongue

EDIT:Also, I'm the guy who got this super nice level that was unseen until this year to load. I may or may not release it.

toG E T H E R
insert lyrics here

Andrew i actually already have a friend with a Development kit for all that stuff, And i'll take a look at Unreal Engine and see what i can do with that,

ToonJoey how are you Making the saturn version though? As in the program you're using, because if i can start off with a earlier version of the work you're doing then i can learn of that and start messing around with the saturn,

6 (edited by toonjoey 2016-10-03 15:57:03)

SEGA saturn SDK. tongue

I don't have a prototype up and running (mainly because SSF doesn't like me and says my Sonic R disc to test it doesn't work) but if you want you can help out in programming. Satourne works for me but it doesn't play sounds or displays graphics correct.

EDIT: I know Andrew posted it but here you go: http://www.rockin-b.de/rockin-b.html

toG E T H E R
insert lyrics here

7 (edited by Av 2016-10-05 13:54:16)

I apologize for the late reply But I could use a CD-RW and try it first hand on a Saturn if you like?

Also, if you want you can send me a Message with what needs to be done or if it's just corrections I'll get to that.

It's an ISO so you'd have to burn it.

Also the project is going nowhere since I'm looking into restoring some of the Sonic 2 Nick Arcade build but I'll have to get a split disassembly, and because we have no programmers (it's coded in C).

So far main game and boss engine is nowhere but we may use a disassembly of the boss engine.

toG E T H E R
insert lyrics here

Yeah, I thought it was a Disk image, That's why I offered to test it. CD-RW can be burned and Formated and reburned over and over again so it's nit a big deal for myself.

toonjoey wrote:

Also, I'm the guy who got this super nice level that was unseen until this year to load. I may or may not release it.

pics or it didn't happen

It's GIZASPD.PCX. Look in the discoveries thread (which is stickied now!!!!! big_smile)...it's pretty broken.

toG E T H E R
insert lyrics here

Forgot to post the results on the Disk image, It works perfectly fine on my Saturn.

Also: I've been messing around with Sonic Xreme and found nothing yet unfortunately

13 (edited by toonjoey 2016-10-09 18:52:51)

Which X-treme--718, POV, or the new ones?

EDIT:Also when you mess around you do find interesting things:like a button on the Saturn v40 that breaks the game when you hold it-I mean--increases FPS!

Alright joking aside theres a button that increases FPS but freezes the game if you hold the button. It goes back to norm when you release it. Can't remember the button though.

toG E T H E R
insert lyrics here

I actually have no idea. I know it's a Sonic Xreme for the Saturn but rather then that I haven't been paying attention to the version.