Topic: [Sept. 3 2013]Anti-Spam Measure: User's minimum posts

Good News Everyone!

I have deleted every member with 0 posts today.  If one of these was your account do not worry, you can resign up for the forums if your account was delete.  They were just delete NOT banned.

I will continue to filter through all accounts with less than 5 posts.  Any account with suspicious activity will be banned.  This is only temporary.

In the future, I will implement an auto delete for any account with less then 5 posts after being signed up for 30 days.  Since most spambots only post 1-3 times this will eliminate them.

Again the auto-delete is just a delete.  If your account is deleted you can sign up again, but if you don't make the 5 post mark, your account will just get deleted again.

-Xeniczone

Re: [Sept. 3 2013]Anti-Spam Measure: User's minimum posts

Might be a bit of a pain but ok, also if they're people who are just not very active in the forums.

CrazedGunmang96 wrote:

Might be a bit of a pain but ok, also if they're people who are just not very active in the forums.

Yeah, I will probably be hard to make 5 posts when you first join, but it isn't 5 posts every 30 days.  It is only 5 posts when you first join.

If you join, don't post, then 30 days later delete.

If you join, post once, then 30 days later delete.

If you join, post 5 times in 30 days, you're good.  You can never post again for 6 years and you will still have an account.

That seems a bit unfair tbh, you sure we need to do THIS specifically to control spambots?

I hope it's not IP Block.

IMPORTANT!
PLEASE BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE PICTURE'S INSTRUCTION BELOW.
PunBB bbcode test

CrazedGunmang96 wrote:

That seems a bit unfair tbh, you sure we need to do THIS specifically to control spambots?

This stops spambots who have registered and no posted.  Right now, since registration is closed, the only spambots that are still posting are ones that were already registered.  All the ones I have seen have less than 5 posts.

You DONT have to make 5 posts every 30 days.  All you have to do is HAVE more than 5 posts in your post count.  For example you have 23 posts.  You have nothing to worry about.

No, I do not ban for IPs with the worry that a spambot may be using a proxy server and accidentally ban someone who has done nothing.

I actually like this measure. It's easy to make 5 posts in this place. Heck, simply posting your introduction in the Welcome section nets you 1, and you can converse with people welcoming you to the forums in that topic and easily net your 5. It's not a bad idea, and certainly not one that's difficult to cope with.

That autodelete's actually a really good idea. Other than crack down on SpamBots, it'll keep the number of "I just registered to download stuff and not do anything else" people in check so that we don't have an extra thousands of users once something gets released. With this, the worst that I can see happening is "leftover" accounts staying for no longer than 30 days.

As th0nlykyd said, 5 posts in the Welcome forum is easy, and, if that's hard for some reason, it'll get people active in other parts of the forum. Seems like a Win-Win-Happy Server all around.  big_smile