Topic: [Sept. 2 2013] SpamBot Installed

With the assistance of Moop we have found a spambot that will hopefully slow down some of the spamming on the forums.  Moop contacted Andrew about it, and Andrew forwarded the information on to me.  I installed it today.  Hopefully this will slow down some of the spam on the forums.  I have a few other ideas on how to put an end to it, but I don't have time to develop them right now.

-Xeniczone

Re: [Sept. 2 2013] SpamBot Installed

thx

Holy $#!+ Xeniczone made an appearance. Good to see ya.

the0nlykyd wrote:

Holy $#!+ Xeniczone made an appearance. Good to see ya.

Yeah.  I've got a lot of stuff between work and college. 

Here I like to think of myself like a Ferrari.  You see a Mustang you think "Wow, I saw only 20 of those yesterday," but you see a Ferrari you take pictures, shake hands, tell people, and kiss babies.

I can't relate to that, I'm not a fan of automobiles. Anywho, the spam bots don't seem to be slowing.

yeah, getting worse it seems actually

Yeah, they're still coming.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/MithosYggdrasil/SonicJazzColor_zps4ecc7d8a.png

The SpamBot thing that Moop sent is only a registration checker.  If a well known spambot server tries to register for the forum, it will kick them out.

The issue that I saw since I've installed the SpamBot-Checker are spambots that are already registered to the forums.  Once we weed these out they will no longer be able to register or post.

May I suggest installing a captcha by ReCaptcha or Solve Media?
For registering, creating and editing topics and posts?

IMPORTANT!
PLEASE BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE PICTURE'S INSTRUCTION BELOW.
PunBB bbcode test

Yeah, a Captcha would be nice.

http://internetometer.com/image/44320.png

Moop's suggested system check the IPs of known spammers and stops them in their track.

I have a capcha, but it has been beaten by the spambots, but I don't have one from ReCaptcha or Solve Media.  I may look into them.

I'm going to make a game.  Someone who signs up must play the game in order to register.  Since a spambot would have a hard time doing so it would effectively bet them.  Unless the spambot was programmed just for this site.

Xeniczone's still alive?! Hi!
You could make your profile picture a Ferrari, lol  smile

Hopefully at least some of the bots have slowed. And yeah, the Captcha currently used is kind of a joke. I suggested in another thread somewhere maybe using that puzzle game Captcha-like thing (it might have been Solve Media--I'm not too sure about the names).

I like the game idea in general, though. Seems like it would work well.

Moop wrote:

Xeniczone's still alive?! Hi!
You could make your profile picture a Ferrari, lol  smile

Hopefully at least some of the bots have slowed. And yeah, the Captcha currently used is kind of a joke. I suggested in another thread somewhere maybe using that puzzle game Captcha-like thing (it might have been Solve Media--I'm not too sure about the names).

I like the game idea in general, though. Seems like it would work well.

Yeah, I was thinking something simple.  Maybe pong or just a simple 5 question quiz if we can come up with some general knowledge questions that wouldn't be too over the top, but at the same time something that isn't easy to find with a simple keyword search in google.  A spambot could use that method to beat the quiz.

Pong on the other hand would be perfect because I'm pretty sure spambots are not programmed with Pong A.I. built in.  Though I would call it something different so it wouldn't pick up on the string "Pong".

I just picked up javascript after noticing it was just like C and realized it wasn't that hard at all.  I want to try to keep it within that realm and not use Flash because many people can't use flash who are on old computers/apple mobile or simply running linux which has a sh!t version of flash.

nice of you to be considerate like that

To register, beat this pong A.I. On extremely hard. lol
I guess if they could make pong entirely built out of hardware chips in the '70s, it's easily makeable with Javascript. Sounds like a good idea (as long as the A.I. isn't on impossible mode). big_smile