Topic: Crystal Frost Boss Ideas

Well let's see... I could see a giant snowman as a boss, preferably one controlled by Robotnik.

Speaking of him, are any of the bosses directly related to him or are him?

Re: Crystal Frost Boss Ideas

As of now, we have 2 planned bosses for robotnik that take place at the end of the game.  We don't have and designs for them or anything.

A giant snowman of some sort would be an idea.  I have also though of recreating the ice level battle with robotnik from Sonic 3, but I couldn't work out a way to make that work in 3D, and I don't think it would fit the Sonic Xtreme theme too much.

What if Robotnik flies around in a machine that drops blocks of ice in an attempt to crush sonic, and sonic has to jump on said blocks to hit Robotnik before Robotnik crushes the ice with a giant robotic mallet

^This is my post, and this is my signature <--

big_smile I love it.

Can we think of a different way that the ice disappears, I'm not sure I'm a fan of Robotnik smashing it.  It would be hard for the player to understand when he was going to smash it, and because it is 3D, Robotnik may fly from a certain angle that is isn't visible to the player.  This would lead to the player being unfairly hurt.

I was thinking the ice should melt, but that wouldn't make any sense because of the level is cold.

Otherwise, it is a great idea, and would fit beautify into a Sonic themed game.  Kind of reminds me of robotnik battles from Sonic 3D or Sonic 3.

Yeah i had originally thought that the ice could melt but suggested the mallet instead because it wouldn't make sense for ice to melt in the cold.  hmm

Well what if the block of ice has a bomb in it that starts to flash red when it's about to explode. This will get rid of the ice and warn the player when the bomb will go off.

Why do they need to disapear? Or melt?
robotnik drops falling ice blocks. if they hit you in the head you get hurt. if you jump on top as they are falling the blocks serve as platforms.(keep in mind robotnik is flying around in 3D above you) IF THEY HIT THE GROUND THEY SHATTER.(no need to melt or whatever) and then he drops more and so on goes the prosses.

by the way I accidently hit the report post button instead of reply. I'm sorry. It won't happen again

the thing is i don't think that robotnik is flying that high above you, just out of sonic's reach and it might be a bit annoying to have to make jumps that require quick precision in 3d. It would however make the boss battle faster paced and I can definitely see it work for 2d sonic games, but not in 3d.

ednoone; is correct in this situation.  3D increases the area of play so much that it was be unfair to the player to have to be able to; Find the ice block, Find Robotnik, use the ice block, and jump on Robotnik, all in the amount of time that the block is falling.

Here is an example:
-In 2D you have a stage that is 50ft wide and 50ft tall.  That would give you an area of that level is 2500ft^2
-In 3D you have a stage that is 50ft wide, 50ft deep, and 50ft tall.  That gives you a level area of 125,000ft^3

Just a wee bit bigger wink

I was thinking that Robotnik didn't make the ice, but instead flew of the screen and came back with a block of ice, as if he went and got the ice out the level.  If this is the case, the bomb inside the ice wouldn't make sense.  What if Robotnik dropped the ice, then dropped a bomb on it a few seconds later?  This will also make Robotnik hover over the ice, rather then wondering across the stage, but this might make the level too easy.

well you could make it so robotnik has missiles aimed for sonic and when they hit the ground/sonic it causes the level to quake causing stalactites of ice to fall from the ceiling.

then another set of missiles are launched one aimed for sonic and the others for the stalactites. causing more stalactites to fall and the process is repeated until sonic wins/loses

That could be a second attack, where Robotnik changes tactics.  You know how Robotnik normally takes 8 hits to beat, but after 4 hits he changes his tactics on trying to destroy you.  The first 4 hits he is trying to crush you with the ice blocks, then second 4 hits he starts destroying the level and making stalactites fall on you.  Which I could easily see as being fair.  Because as soon as a missile hits the ground shadows of the stalactites can form to show where they are falling in the respect to the 2D ground.

Still raises the question on how to remove the ice block.  Robotnik could pick it up.  Similar to the first? or second?  boss on Sonic 3D Blast.  Where he has a ball and he is trying to drop it on Sonic.  He will drop the piece of ice, and every time he drops it, it cracks. This will happen until, say, the third drop and the thing shatters.

Why not just ask Christian Senn for a cursory idea of what it should be? That was it's quasi-canonical.

I don't believe that Crystal Frost was ever planned out.  We only have one very small screenshot of the level.  I think there was also some layouts of how the levels would work, and I think it said something about crystal frost having a dragon.  i will have to dig it up later.

Actually i was doing some research and i think that the actual boss of crystal frost was a tank named "Titan Tank"

Really?!  Do you have a link or anything?

15 (edited by ednoone 2010-09-11 00:28:40)

Well it's more or less speculation on my part, but i found cris senn's concept music on youtube here's the music for Titan Tank http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZQjjrv0sww
There's also concept music for Guardian Spinx http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=obJWoXVWMLg

Well both of those songs are awesome.  I have heard the Guardian Sphinx one before, and Mr. Senn had a picture of the Guardian Sphinx, he looks like a large Egyptian guardian made out of stone.  I can't provide a picture because the Compilation is down.

I wonder what Titan Tank looks like, or for that matter what it is suppose to be.

I typed in 'Guardian sphinx' into Yahoo! and this is what shows up.
http://guardians.net/egypt/sphinx/
Which is actually is pretty close to what Chris drew.  Except he drew him as a humanoid rather then a cat.

Titan Tank?
http://chaoticbalance.org/screenshots/image.php?id=288

What if you make it the shape of Titan Tank kinda like Galleom from super smash bros. subspace emissary.
The first part of the boss battle Titan Tank would be in tank form shooting out icy wind trying to freeze sonic while sonic tries to go around him avoiding the icy wind and hits the tank where the head is. Then for the second part you could have titan tank stand up and the tactic could be

ednoone wrote:

well you could make it so robotnik has missiles aimed for sonic and when they hit the ground/sonic it causes  the level to quake causing stalactites of ice to fall from the ceiling.

then another set of missiles are launched one aimed for sonic and the others for the stalactites. causing more stalactites to fall and the process is repeated until sonic wins/loses

I don't know if that would be to hard to model however

Sounds interesting, Don't know how much I like it compared to the Robotnik idea.  Galleom looks freaken awesome though (Never had a Nintendo before), but I wonder how it would fit into the Sonic universe.   Also don't want to end up making it look like Transformers. 

Maybe Titan Tank is the name of the device used by Robotnik for the flying and missile attacks?

You could always make robotnik use a flying tank smile

Just noticed a small flaw with that plan.  Tanks aren't known for shooting missiles, they shoot very large shells.

Maybe have Robotnik in a tank that goes around the parameter of the arena.  What will happen is he will drive around with a laser or some sort of indication of where he is going to shoot.  Then fire off snow balls at Sonic. Not sure what would be the next plan of tatic.

As for the titan part, I did a little research and titan, in greek mythology, means a race of power.  I guess titan tank means powerful tank.

Maybe for the next tactic you could have the tank, and i don't want this to sound inconsistent, but what if the front of the tank turns into a drill (similar to the first boss battle from sonic 2) tries to ram into sonic, when he misses he gets stuck in the wall and sonic has to hit him during the 5-10 seconds he is stuck in the wall. When robonik is beaten the tank falls appart and robotnik flies away, similar to that first boss battle form sonic 2. I know it's pretty inconsistent from the first part but i'm just throwing it out there for sake of nostalgia.

I like how it is linked back to Sonic 2. 

Maybe it should be both.  Robotnik has a drill on the front of his tank, and has a turret to shoot shells at sonic.  Robotnik charges after Sonic (Similar to Sonic 2)  then gets stuck in the wall.  While stuck in the wall Robotnik turns the turret around and fires at sonic.  At this point, Robotnik is vulnerable to Sonic's hits, because he has no ammo and is stuck.  After Sonic hits him, or after a specific amount of time, he finally gets the tank out of the wall, and the round begins again.

Normally a boss will take 8 hits to beat so after 4 hits one of the tanks abilities gets disabled.  Like say his ability to move and charge Sonic gets disabled after 4 hits.  So now he just sits and fires shells.

Only problem with this is it makes him easier to beat after 4 hits, which is against what normally happens.  What normally happens is Robotnik gets harder to beat after 4 hits.

Maybe after 4 hits robotnik could aim at the ceiling and fire, and then stalactites could fall. While the stalactites are falling, robotnik could also fire a shot at sonic, after this he needs to reload or something like that

There is no Nights!!!
http://homepages.uc.edu/~tellepjc/Reala.png

So no drill at all, just the shooting tank?

But I do like that idea because not only does Sonic have to dodge the stalactites (shown by shadows on the ground), and he has to dodge the shot from Robotnik.  He will be weak while reloading.  Maybe have 5 shots before having to reload.  One at the ceiling 4 at sonic.

Xeniczone wrote:

So no drill at all, just the shooting tank?

But I do like that idea because not only does Sonic have to dodge the stalactites (shown by shadows on the ground), and he has to dodge the shot from Robotnik.  He will be weak while reloading.  Maybe have 5 shots before having to reload.  One at the ceiling 4 at sonic.

Well maybe we could use the drill at first, but after the first hits it breaks and robotnik starts shooting at the ceiling and then at sonic. I think they could work together.

There is no Nights!!!
http://homepages.uc.edu/~tellepjc/Reala.png