Re: Development on Hold for awhile.

AleX-treme wrote:

A lot of time, a lot of time....When the project started already? It was in 2006 if i remember well, now we are in 2013. WHAT WENT WRONG? So far, i don't even know if Jade Gully is ready or even in a playable state, let along the full game! Sonic 2 HD is a another Sonic fan game who have suffer from a chaotix development, but in 4 year they complete Emerald Hill Zone and Hill Top is half complete. But the Project AXSX only have a Christmast version of a single E3 Beta stage and a dead forum with promise that claim that the project is keep going. If the situation was not THAT bad, i could at least see some update with picture to show the progress of the project or something. But there is none of that, all i see, is very rare message from the developing team who came by just to remember us that it's not over, even if the current situation show the total opposite.

So, all in all, don't trying to convince me that it's just take some time or anything, because your not fooling anyone. If you want me to belive that this project is not dead, give me concrete proof. Give me some news, or anything that can show the progress of the game.

Until now, Project AXSX have try to re-created the Sonic Xtreme game the most faithfully possible....and it is! In fact, it's EXACTLY like Sonic Xtreme: A awesome looking game that no one would ever have the chance to play!

There is no developing team, Just me , and I'm sorry that I have not posted many pictures or videos,
but rest assured, the project is not dead, it just takes a lot of time and energy to produce a game. even an oldschool game such as this.
Please understand, I have a lack in time due to work and renovating my house.( also helping a friend who is giving me some programming help for this project in return) a sort of exchange if you will.

That's why you see short bursts of development here and there, and why its been in the works since 2006. its not like I work on this everyday.
Recently, posted a Youtube video a little while back showing some progress on a level I was working on in December and on into January after that video had been posted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORJn-0Fo … mp;index=1
Also to help you relax a bit more, there are around 35 levels already playable to some degree,
I don't want to show every little bit of the game just yet. So please hold your horses!

You can also check out some of my archived live streams if you like to see how slow progress can be even while working on the project.
These mainly consist of cleaning up levels ported over from the official game format.
http://www.livestream.com/tuxmask75

You will see some months that no progress is made. I'm sorry about that. but that's the way its got to be.

AXSX Lead

I feel that this topic itself in stating that the project is on hold, is the progress.
Just so you know, there have been many announcements regarding AXSX being on hold since 2006.
each time I've resumed work after awhile.
You'll just have to wait as I am waiting to re-engage work for AXSX.

AXSX Lead

Whats done, or mostly done:
Fisheye shader that can be manipulated during gameplay to user tast.
Custom Sonic gameplay including multi changing physics systems related to gravity (Level rotation system, or classic sonic physics system)
sound FX,
Music system.
many level gimmicks,
some Puzzle layouts.
lots of custom textures,
Animated path systems as seen in some of the official Sonic Xtreme level videos.
collectable rings,
Prototypes for working enemies, (including AI)
level goal prototype,
also springs are working,
Over 400 custom level chunks to build custom levels on the fly using UDK world editor.

over 35 stage models are completely ported over from the official Def files, ( they are cleaned up)
0 % of the stages are set up as playable levels except a few test areas. used to test and develop the above mentioned.
however with all the work that's been done already,
All can be quickly assembled into fully functioning gameplay stages using the built in UDK world editor with in a matter of days. ( everything is drag and drop compatible so anyone could put stages together and place objects.

Some of what is left to do:
Finish up texturing for many stages,
program sonic's spin slash move,
Finish spin slash sprites, ( they have been prototyped and look very good)
Plan out and implement gimmicks specifically designed for spin slash interaction.
make a sonic ducking sprite.
Fix camera code,
More level Gimmicks need to be programmed and set up.
Some remaining bugs need to be squashed.

Planed for release after next:
Boss stages and boss AI.

AXSX Lead

AleX-treme wrote:

Thanks for the update Andrew  smile  . It's good to know that there is a good amount of work's done. Hopefully you will find some time to put the stage pieces together someday.

Still have lots of work that needs to be done before we get to the point for putting stages together.
Also I edited my above post a few times to add in some things I had forgotten.

AXSX Lead

Andrew75 wrote:
AleX-treme wrote:

Thanks for the update Andrew  smile  . It's good to know that there is a good amount of work's done. Hopefully you will find some time to put the stage pieces together someday.

Still have lots of work that needs to be done before we get to the point for putting stages together.
Also I edited my above post a few times to add in some things I had forgotten.

Maybe if someone would help. I have never work with the Sonic GDK Engine, but if the engine editor is easy to use like you said, i would like to give you a hand on this if that doesn't bother you. I would like to help to make this project a reality (unlike the official game that Sega never gave us).

If you don't want to, it's okay, it's your project after all. But a liitle back-up is never a bad idea. I have some free time on my own. I could use them for help. I ask nothing in return (except my name in the credit  tongue ). What do you think?

I'm a french Canadian, so don't hurt me if my english can seem odd at time.
My youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZoneofDoom

Andrew75 wrote:

It would be to much work getting anyone caught up on how things work,
Already attempted this with a few people in the past, really slowed the project down.
and lost so much time.

Even if I could use you , I wouldn't be able to use you as a level builder for some time anyways,
as every component needs to be finalized first. ( this may be some months off)
thanks for the offer though,
However, what I really need are programmers with high levels of experience in UDK, or Unreal script.
someone who could jump in and know what is going on instantly just by looking at the code.

Like i said earlier, the UDK is something that i have never work on before, so i can't help you on this, sorry  sad . I'm really good with computer, but this is still new to me. I still want to help to make this project going, the best as i could.

The game is still not complete after more than 7 years now....Hum, that remind me of the development of game like Duke Nukem Forever, Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl (freaking love that game btw) or Black Mesa. It's one thing of having a game that take it's time and sometime, it's better not to rush it. But at some point, it has to be done! What i mean is this: We need to make it happen! Complete the game. You gonna need some help, because at this point it's taking too long. I don't said that to be harsh or being negative, far from it. In fact, i'm sure the project can still make it, but something's gonna have to be make. Sometime, it's way too long and HAS to be done.

Andrew75, this is what i suggest, i have an account on the FUS website, i could go there and talk with the other and try to give you support and/or reinforcement. If you don't know what FUS is, FUS stand for Fan United for SatAM, a popular Sonic SatAM fan site who support fan project relate to Sonic. Not just Sonic SatAM project, but Sonic fan project overall. They are know to have donated financial support for the Sonic Fan Film by Eddie Lebron and they are actually working on a animated third season of Sonic SatAM. There, i will probably find someone who will probably be able to help you. I can talk to Paul Scott (the site owner) and explain the situation of Project AXSX and ask him if he can help you somehow. If not, i'm sure i could still find someone else on this site who will find a way to give you support in the development of Project AXSX.

Is that a good idea? Give me a green light on my suggestion and i'm going to do all i can to make Project AXSX a reality   smile .

Right now everything is under control. for the most part I don't want to bring to many people onto this project, as I have a vision as how I want it to be done.
I am not just doing this project for you guys , but for myself as well.

Also keep in mind that when I'm busy working on my house renovations, my job and another project which will benefit AXSX in the end ,
I don't want to watch a team take my project and turn it into another Project S or sonic 2 HD. Where everyone wants to add there own ideas leading to things going off track.
Governing and training that team would probably make the project drawn out even longer.
when I do get time to work on AXSX I do it in 16 hour shifts in 2 - 3 week bursts.
most people could not keep up in a fan game team environment.

So yeah, even if this takes another 10 years or so , I'm not going to change how I do things.
So please don't worry to much, and relax.
If you want to get sonic xtreme done so quickly , Why not start a team all your own?

AXSX Lead

Andrew75 wrote:

Right now everything is under control. for the most part I don't want to bring to many people onto this project, as I have a vision as how I want it to be done.
I am not just doing this project for you guys , but for myself as well.

Also keep in mind that when I'm busy working on my house renovations, my job and another project which will benefit AXSX in the end ,
I don't want to watch a team take my project and turn it into another Project S or sonic 2 HD. Where everyone wants to add there own ideas leading to things going off track.
Governing and training that team would probably make the project drawn out even longer.
when I do get time to work on AXSX I do it in 16 hour shifts in 2 - 3 week bursts.
most people could not keep up in a fan game team environment.

So yeah, even if this takes another 10 years or so , I'm not going to change how I do things.
So please don't worry to much, and relax.
If you want to get sonic xtreme done so quickly , Why not start a team all your own?

I understand what you mean, but the reason why i talk about FUS, it's because they are different. When they start a project, they really made it completely. They are really working seriously and are very open mind. Don't think that they will take control over AXSX and destroy it like the infamous Sonic 2 HD. I know this site for a long time now and they got a good reputation with fan project.

When you ask me to do my own Sonic Xtreme game, i would not refuse the idea, but i don't know where to begin. I could find help in FUS, but i have nothing to start a project up so far. You have a promissing project on your hand that could benefic from the help of these guy while having a control over the progress.

If I ever need the help I'll know where to look, thanks but not right now.

AXSX Lead

Sonickku wrote:
techdiff wrote:

AleX-treme give it up this game will finish when the time is right it is better that it is done precisely and accordingly instead of just being thrown together.

Andrew knows what he wants and the true fans of axsx know what they want.  Our goals are the same dont try to push this project its moving at a fantastic pace.  The work that is bring done on other projects of Andrews will ultimately help make axsx exactly what it needs to be.

REAL fans wait  big_smile

DEDICATED FANS ALWAYS WAIT LONGER.  big_smile

According to your logic, you should NEVER EVER play the game, even if it got released someday. You'll have to wait to play it, or else you're not a ''REAL'' fan. What a stupid lame excuse!

What's with all this raging all of a sudden? Calm down, guys, really. Andrew's doing what he can, he has a goal in mind, and it's going to take time (like most good things in life).

I'm sure no one wants a repeat of the XTreme engine fiasco when fans hammered Ofer Alon so much that he basically skirted away and left us with nothing. This project will get done, as long as you are patient and understand the circumstances behind the situation.

Just remember: AXSX isn't a full-time job, it's a fan-made hobby project. It's a really detailed and awesome hobby project, but it can't be considered much more than that, so don't go flipping out all over the place over any delays. If anything, Andrew's given a lot more time to AXSX than we could ever expect, so be grateful.

On a related note, thank you for being so dedicated, Andrew. Surely I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate the work you've done!

We had some minor raging lol
Everything's fine now , thanks for the good words! tongue
Also how do you like the new Forums layout?

AXSX Lead

Andrew75 wrote:

Too much raging, not enough appreciation, lol  tongue
The forums are certainly a lot cleaner and more organized (thanks also to the0nlykyd!), so it's a lot easier to navigate.

By the way, Andrew, while it's on my mind, if you need any work done that requires something like a 7970, i7, or even Mac on that hardware combo to render/create/etc., I have a system that could do that if you ever need the help.

I didn't edit the forum layout lol.

Moop wrote:
Andrew75 wrote:

Too much raging, not enough appreciation, lol  tongue
The forums are certainly a lot cleaner and more organized (thanks also to the0nlykyd!), so it's a lot easier to navigate.

By the way, Andrew, while it's on my mind, if you need any work done that requires something like a 7970, i7, or even Mac on that hardware combo to render/create/etc., I have a system that could do that if you ever need the help.

Thx, but Im covered with a high end system of my own.

LGA 2011 Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition Six-Core CPU @ 5.2GHZ Water cooled.
32GB G.SKILL Trident X Series @ 2800 GHZ (Quad Chanel memory)
2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SuperClocked Signature graphic cards,
3ed one coming soon. (they are hard to get)
3x SATA III OCZ Vertex 4 512GB Solid State Drives in Raid 0
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard.
1x 27 Inch 1.07b colours Dell U2713H Monitor @ 2560 x 1440 ( not the crap HM model)
to bad its only 60HZ >__<
also have
2x 24 Inch LG 1080P monitors at 1 MS response time
1x Asus 27 inch 144 HZ 1080P monitor (VG278HE)
Lots of test configurations, Sonic runs smooth as silk on the high HZ monitor, huge difference compared to 60 HZ!

I don't think UDK is compatible with Mac sadly.

I'll close this topic tomorrow, as project work is no longer at a stand still.

AXSX Lead

Andrew75 wrote:

LGA 2011 Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition Six-Core CPU @ 5.2GHZ Water cooled.
32GB G.SKILL Trident X Series @ 2800 GHZ (Quad Chanel memory)
2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SuperClocked Signature graphic cards,
3ed one coming soon. (they are hard to get)
3x SATA III OCZ Vertex 4 512GB Solid State Drives in Raid 0
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard.
1x 27 Inch 1.07b colours Dell U2713H Monitor @ 2560 x 1440 ( not the crap HM model)
to bad its only 60HZ >__<
also have
2x 24 Inch LG 1080P monitors at 1 MS response time
1x Asus 27 inch 144 HZ 1080P monitor (VG278HE)

I want you. (No homo.) ((Maybe.))

Im married. lol

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4121/53975588.jpg

AXSX Lead

Lookin' sweet.  cool

smashing shirt Andrew;)

Congrats smile

PunBB bbcode test

Congrats ? lol Well I been married for awhile now, since 2003, so its more like, somebody please save me!
Anyways that pic was taken in china 2 years back, It was hard to find something that could fit from the studio's wardrobe.

AXSX Lead

Development will be slow for awhile, I need to concentrate on other things such as working on my house, A lot of work on AXSX has been done since the project went on hold last time.
( Please understand, this does not mean that I'm putting things on hold, just a lot less work will be going into xtreme for the next 3 weeks or so)

AXSX Lead

It's ok Andrew.
Like I said back then, don't rush and talk time on developing the game.
If you need to focus on other important things, do it.
In short develop the game in Valve style.
Surprise us.

IMPORTANT!
PLEASE BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE PICTURE'S INSTRUCTION BELOW.
PunBB bbcode test

Is the demo released will be delayed as well?

AleX-treme wrote:

Is the demo released will be delayed as well?

The demo has been delayed. there was supposed to be one at the end of last month. Also I'm no longer going to have release dates for demos or other releases, its just to hard to keep promises for projects such as these. You know? Things are always coming up.

AXSX Lead