Re: Winter 2011 (First Ever Public Beta Demo)!

Gamerz_sonic450 wrote:

Actually here is the best picture links I could find to show you guys what I mean

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/doy186/sonicxtremescreenshot.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/doy186/sonic1.jpg

Whew...........Finally got some good pictures big_smile

Hey, yeah I'm aware of that, this is mainly a tech demo, nothings been set in stone yet.
also please keep in mind that since the original game was never finished,
nothing was set in stone at that point. So I cant guarantee a 100% replica,
I'll end up moving the camera somewhere which feels comfortable in the end.

p.s. check the video for E3 1996, the camera is also in another position. ^__^

AXSX Lead

Well a Marry freakin Christmas!  I just got an email about this release and I can't wait to try it myself.  Sorry guys I've been gone for about a year now.  I pop my head in every now and then.

What engine is this based on Andrew?  Is this an improved version of my engine?

I can't install the demo on the bootcamp partition of my macbook pro.

I seem to lack the required Servicepack 3? Is that a free update for Windows XP? (Sorry I am a bit behind the times about Windows)

I REALLY would appreciate an OSX Version wink

Xeniczone wrote:

Well a Marry freakin Christmas!  I just got an email about this release and I can't wait to try it myself.  Sorry guys I've been gone for about a year now.  I pop my head in every now and then.

What engine is this based on Andrew?  Is this an improved version of my engine?

Its running in UDK, and everythings been done from scratch.
we no longer have to worry about the rings slowing down the frame rate like before.
Hope you can come back to the project soon!

Kaffeebohnson wrote:

I can't install the demo on the bootcamp partition of my macbook pro.

I seem to lack the required Servicepack 3? Is that a free update for Windows XP? (Sorry I am a bit behind the times about Windows)

I REALLY would appreciate an OSX Version wink

Not sure i can help you with that. i dont have a mac....>__<

Wanted to get an update out on youtube, since there hasn't been any lately.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OHsie6AQt5Q

AXSX Lead

Andrew75 wrote:
techdiff wrote:

let me know if this disscussion is too early and ill delete my post

Andrew completely off topic but

i was wondering if sometime if you have time if you could set-up a blank level slate for me in whatever program you are using. with individual blocks with various textures from jade gully i could copy and paste the blocks to construct the level. <kinda like the old level editor for this project>

i have everything all drawn out for jade gully 2 player, i could give you the drawn out version and you can construct as you see fit or you could give me blocks and i could construct it for you

the method im using right now is hard and inefficient im viewing the level in the level viewer, taking pictures, and editing it in paint.

take a look

You'll have to wait on this for a bit im sorry ..

no rush  cool

im currently working on tiara, tails, knuckles so my hands are full with spriting but i do like to work on levels design from time to time

also to speak on demo the game play looks so clean hoping to be able to try it out soon on a good enough computer  tongue

Just got a chance to play the demo. It's exactly what I imagined it would have felt like to play the original. Good work.

Indeed! Is VERY kay-o! Boing!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/MithosYggdrasil/SonicJazzColor_zps4ecc7d8a.png

Nice work on the project. To be honest I saw a post of this on Sonic Retro and migrated to here. I don't know how long you guys have been working on it but I know one thing, so far it's the best fan-made Sonic game I have seen. Keep up the great work! And if there's anyway I can help whether it be research, financing, or anything else please let me know guys!  big_smile

Also what's the second song in the demo called? I know the now-famous "Space Queens" is the first, and a 16-bit "Jingle Bells is the third. I really like the second song though, sound familiar but I can't put my finger on it...

im not sure but it might be the chrismas nights theme

majorasmaskfan wrote:

I'm not sure but it might be the Christmas nights theme

yep thats it! Christmas Nights, both jungle bells and the other (boss theme).
they all play randomly btw

AXSX Lead

No luck here andrew.  When I boot it, I get an error about "nvStereoapiI.dll."  I looked that DLL up and it has something to do with the graphic driver.  No idea.

Xeniczone wrote:

No luck here andrew.  When I boot it, I get an error about "nvStereoapiI.dll."  I looked that DLL up and it has something to do with the graphic driver.  No idea.

Crap.....

AXSX Lead

I knew I heard it somewhere before. Hard to find the OST to Christmas Nights but I found it  cool

nvStereoapiI.dll sounds like an HDMI sound driver issue. What's you Graphics Card? I love fixing these kinda things  lol

Or is this something to do with UDK Andrew?

Doubt its UDK itself, probably a software issue of some sort.
perhaps somethings not installed ,corrupted, or out of date.
I know he has some decent cards.
Nvidia 9800s or something like that. its been awhile.
He's usually pretty good at getting his systems up and going.
It isn't easy to get updates and stuff like that as he lives in the mountains and uses satellite Internet which is extremely slow with limited bandwidth.
I think part of the reason he dropped off the project may have been due to that.

AXSX Lead

I ran it on Win 7 I7 Processor 7 Gigs ram and it played like a dream. Man this is somehow even better than I dreamed it to be.

The only thing that didn't work for me was the controls were all messed up. And I couldn't figure out how to go into options on UDK to fix the controls

willie_w wrote:

I ran it on Win 7 I7 Processor 7 Gigs ram and it played like a dream. Man this is somehow even better than I dreamed it to be.

The only thing that didn't work for me was the controls were all messed up. And I couldn't figure out how to go into options on UDK to fix the controls

What was messed up about the controls?

AXSX Lead

I have windows installed on my Mac I will give it a try on that.

The computer I tried was running on 2x nVidia 9800GTX SLi.  It probably needs a driver update or something like that.  The drivers for the 64bit Vista have always been a bit iffy.   Like andrew said thanks to our crappy internet, I can't really download software like new drivers on the fly and try stuff out.  Maybe my laptops 9400M will be more reliable.

On my keyboard the up and down controls were mapped to the up and down arrows but the left and right arrows didn't work. It was something like a, s, d, e controlled directions and ctrl button controlled jump

I haven't tried a plug in controller yet. I'll test that next. But seriously I would play through the whole game with these controls if I had to just because it looks and plays so unbelievably well.

well this was featured on sonic retro thats pretty cool.

finnaly got the demo to work and i hate the defualt key bourd controlls and i dont have a game pad. i pressed evrey butten on my key bourd and none of them opened a config.

As much as I liked the demo, I do have to agree with willie_w and majorasmaskfan that the default keyboard controls make playing the game difficult.

Otherwise, A+, as I said.

I recently just played the demo again but I wanted to know if there is any way to take away that darn text at the top right of the screen that says "Lighting needs to be rebuilt" Im sure you only need to go into UDK's settings but im not so sure how?,Any pointers?

Gamerz_sonic450 wrote:

I recently just played the demo again but I wanted to know if there is any way to take away that darn text at the top right of the screen that says "Lighting needs to be rebuilt" Im sure you only need to go into UDK's settings but im not so sure how?,Any pointers?

tab" during gameplay and type "ToggleAllScreenMessages" and press enter

AXSX Lead

PC Specs and FPS:

Intel T4500 Dual Core @ 2.3GHz
3GB Ram
Intel GMA 4500M (I think this is a 64MB gfx card)
Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

FPS: 15-30 (I had to set the resolution to 640 x 480 or else it would be unplayable).

Keep up the good work, you're all doing great!