Topic: Building level specification / requirements

This post is a placeholder for the upcoming level building tutorials.
It may take a few days to upload something here, since I'm going on a road trip to Michigan tomorrow,

AXSX already has standards set up for building levels.
Standards like scale, texture format, and how geometry is built and how textures are applied.
some of these standards are pretty basic, but allow for universal level design practice, as well as what our engine requires to function properly.

To get you guys started on AXSX level development.
When I arrive in Michigan , I may have some time to start some basic tutorials and upload some recourses, including textures, level geometry sections for building levels, and on how to apply textures the proper way for our engine to use them.

P.s. Plus much more.

AXSX Lead

Re: Building level specification / requirements

Looking foward to future updates!

Ahh, yeah will have something in the next few days,
Currently working very hard on the first level for xtreme.
as thats going on,  I'm finalizing workflow practices which will help with writing the tutorials.

AXSX Lead

Andrew75 wrote:

as thats going on,  I'm finalizing workflow practices which will help with writing the tutorials.

Wow, you guys must be dedicated, how on earth do you keep focused on this after so many years?
Oh and thanks too I'm very keen to have a read!

Kiwi wrote:
Andrew75 wrote:

Wow, you guys must be dedicated, how on earth do you keep focused on this after so many years?
Oh and thanks too I'm very keen to have a read!

Me too, i've always been very interested in learning about this stuff, but when i try to learn things by myself i get overwhelmed and then eventually lose interest. I can't wait to read what you put up.

There is no Nights!!!
http://homepages.uc.edu/~tellepjc/Reala.png

yeah I'll put something up soon as i can take time off from the project.
wouldn't expect it to be too soon though.

We haven't been working on the project strait everyday for the past few years,
we take off a few months sometimes. lol

AXSX Lead

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/4892/blocksl.jpg
Sorry this isn't a tutorial, but will give some insite on modeling red sands.

This is what I call my Block pallet,
I take one Polygonal face from each block and clone them 1 by 1 to form the levels,

In the background you can see some individual blocks in a cluster,
That block cluster has so many possible texture combinations for lighting outcomes
so depending on X,Y and Z of where the block should be located in the level, a certain block's poly face in the cluster is chosen.
there are 384 combinations just in that Block cluster that I have wade threw, to build red sands,

This will probably be the most time consuming level to construct in the project.

AXSX Lead

8 (edited by Moop 2010-12-20 17:24:07)

Looking long-term, would these tutorials allow the building of user-made levels to add to the game as DLC or something?

@Andrew
If Red Sands is the hardest level to model, will it be the most rewarding or the the largest one?

Moop wrote:

Looking long-term, would these tutorials allow the building of user-made levels to add to the game as DLC or something?

@Andrew
If Red Sands is the hardest level to model, will it be the most rewarding or the the largest one?

Yes the tutorials would help users build there own models.
Regrettably, I wont be able to post any tutorials since the requirements for the engine keep changing because of improvements.

Currently we are using 2 Models for each level, a collision model, and a visual model.
There are multiple uses for the collision model besides collision,
Will have cover these when tutorials become available, which probably wont be for a few months.

Redsands is my personal favorite, it'll get some love.

EDIT:
Collision model does not have any kind of noticeable hit to performance since its not rendered.

AXSX Lead