Topic: INFO gathering! Lets get started! *UPDATED: March 25, 2010*

Updates:
*Added MilkShape units*
*Added Sketchup units*

Just need someones help acquiring Blender units of measurement.
Time is important! I'd love to do it myself but there just so much other things needing doing.
* * * * END OF UPDATES* * * *

I'm setting this topic up as a sort of an information gathering tool for the tutorials for level building,
This topmost post may receive multiple edits and changes throwout its life to reflect things that are needed from you guys in gathering the info needed to start up the tuts.

First on the agenda will be level scale info gathering from multiple Modeling packages.
This is where you guys come in.

As you guys may have noticed,The original Sonic Xtreme was built out of building block like objects such as cubes and other shapes.
However, In our project we will be building the levels out of cube (or block) faces than welding them, into a single mesh.( will explain this a bit more later on)

Below is a simple Cube model, this cube is in .3DS and .Obj format,
((if any other formats are needed, please let me know.))
The purpose is to import this model into your favorite modeling package to see how many default units tall, wide or whatever it is. than report back here with the info,

3D Studio Max:.....(in Default units: Generic Units) 60x60x60
Maya:...................(in Default Units: CM) 30X30X30
Blender:................(in Default Units) ? ? ? ? ?
Milkshape:.............(in Default Units) 60X60X60
Goggle Sketchup:..(in Default Units: Feet) 5X5X5
Other Modeling packages to be listed: upon user submission

AXSX Lead

Re: INFO gathering! Lets get started! *UPDATED: March 25, 2010*

Well I imported the cube.3ds into Google Sketchup and it said it was 5X5X5 in feet.

^This is my post, and this is my signature <--

ednoone wrote:

Well I imported the cube.3ds into Google Sketchup and it said it was 5X5X5 in feet.

Hey thanks! I'll update the info !
Also any way you can export that back out of Sketchup in 3DS and post it here for me?

AXSX Lead

It doesn't look like Sketchup has an option to export to 3ds, with with a series of conversions I was able to get it to 3ds. Problem is it gets rid of all the textures. It's not a problem with a simple cube but it can be annoying for files with textures. sad

ednoone wrote:

It doesn't look like Sketchup has an option to export to 3ds, with with a series of conversions I was able to get it to 3ds. Problem is it gets rid of all the textures. It's not a problem with a simple cube but it can be annoying for files with textures. sad

HM,,, What can it natively export?
Also I found a 3DS exporter plug-in for Sketchup, not sure it it'll work or not.
care to give it a try?
http://download.cnet.com/3DS-Export-for-SketchUp/3000-6677_4-10973824.html

AXSX Lead

Well the plug-in seems to work but you need to buy it. hmm  Sketchup light can natively export .dae files, but sketchup pro can export 3ds and many other types. I only have the light version though.

Someone should port Sonic X-Treme into Minecraft... roll

If you have nothing reasonable to add, then SHUT UP!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/MithosYggdrasil/SonicJazzColor_zps4ecc7d8a.png

OmochaoAbuser wrote:

If you have nothing reasonable to add, then SHUT UP!

That was a bit un called for, His post was not bad.

Im not sure where we can get the plug in sorry.

AXSX Lead