1 (edited by MetalSonicCD 2017-12-31 20:05:02)

Topic: Something that grinds my gears

You know what really grinds my gears? Ofer Alon. Now hold on, I'm not here to trash talk him, but I wanted to bring this topic to discussion. Recently I was reading about how there is a video game archive somewhere in California, and how they're trying to get copyright laws changed for MOBA games so they can archive these games with their own servers, since the original servers have been shut down.

This has got me thinking. Ofer Alon has refused to release the PC Demo (or anything in his possession, for that matter) to ANYONE. It seriously pisses me off he won't even give it to these people trying to archive video games. Sega sure as hell will never give it up, assuming they still have it, which I doubt. Ofer Alon is the only person that we can reasonably assume still has it, why would he not at least give it to these guys archiving games? Im sure they're reasonable and wouldn't release it, but the fact is, if he is that last person to have the PC Demo or any builds we may not even know about, that will all be lost if he never releases it.

Now you could say it's legal reasons, but literally every person that the community has gotten assets from, including Chris Senn and Ross Harris, haven't been contacted by Sega. To my knowledge at least. It seems in my time following Sonic X-treme, every few years a big piece of info gets dropped, but the more time that passes, the more likely we won't be seeing the PC demo or any thing Ofer is keeping tucked away.

What makes me honestly curious is whether or not Ofer keeps up to date with any of this. AXSX, what Ross Harris released, or even what Chris Senn has shown. Is Ofer lurking in the shadows watching? Is he waiting for something? I have a glimmer of hope in the idea that when AXSX is released, it will spark enough interest to get Ofers attention. The way I see it, I don't think he has forgotten about X-treme, it was a huge part of his life and I doubt he never looks around the internet about it. I just hope for the sake of the game not being lost to time, that when AXSX releases he will contact Andy, or at least come out of the shadows and give us insight onto what the deal is.

2

Re: Something that grinds my gears

I think he (and Christina) considered releasing their work but got death threats so they dropped out.

toG E T H E R
insert lyrics here

3

Re: Something that grinds my gears

toonjoey wrote:

I think he (and Christina) considered releasing their work but got death threats so they dropped out.

See I've heard this before, but I legitimately don't understand it. Did Sega send them death threats? Lol. Like when you think about it, you can't logically find a reason why someone would be against Xtreme builds being released, unless you're Sega. That means the only people who would send them would be trolls, and trolls usually don't do shit.

Even in that case, it could be sent to the video game archive where they would never release it. That or send it to Jolly or Andy, since they've been huge contributors to uncovering X-treme stuff.

Unless... Andy or Jolly already has the builds and just hasn't told us!? What if this whole time Andy has been using the pc demo sent to him by ofer alon as a reference, but ofer said not to tell anyone he has it.

4

Re: Something that grinds my gears

MetalSonicCD wrote:
toonjoey wrote:

I think he (and Christina) considered releasing their work but got death threats so they dropped out.

See I've heard this before, but I legitimately don't understand it. Did Sega send them death threats? Lol. Like when you think about it, you can't logically find a reason why someone would be against Xtreme builds being released, unless you're Sega. That means the only people who would send them would be trolls, and trolls usually don't do shit.

Even in that case, it could be sent to the video game archive where they would never release it. That or send it to Jolly or Andy, since they've been huge contributors to uncovering X-treme stuff.

Unless... Andy or Jolly already has the builds and just hasn't told us!? What if this whole time Andy has been using the pc demo sent to him by ofer alon as a reference, but ofer said not to tell anyone he has it.

Furries and Sonic fans sent them death threats.

Good community.

toG E T H E R
insert lyrics here

5

Re: Something that grinds my gears

toonjoey wrote:
MetalSonicCD wrote:
toonjoey wrote:

I think he (and Christina) considered releasing their work but got death threats so they dropped out.

See I've heard this before, but I legitimately don't understand it. Did Sega send them death threats? Lol. Like when you think about it, you can't logically find a reason why someone would be against Xtreme builds being released, unless you're Sega. That means the only people who would send them would be trolls, and trolls usually don't do shit.

Even in that case, it could be sent to the video game archive where they would never release it. That or send it to Jolly or Andy, since they've been huge contributors to uncovering X-treme stuff.

Unless... Andy or Jolly already has the builds and just hasn't told us!? What if this whole time Andy has been using the pc demo sent to him by ofer alon as a reference, but ofer said not to tell anyone he has it.

Furries and Sonic fans sent them death threats.

Good community.

I don't doubt it, but like I said, it could be sent to Andy or Jolly or the archive so its just not lost to time. Besides, when was this? I mean it had to have been years ago. Unless like I said andy or jolly has the PC demo but is keeping it super secret.

6

Re: Something that grinds my gears

toonjoey wrote:

Furries and Sonic fans sent them death threats.

Good community.

Aw, come on, I'm in both of those fandoms! Why do the fandoms I take part in have to be such dicks?

G O T T A   R U N   Q U I C K L Y

7 (edited by AquaTheYoshi 2018-01-02 10:07:00)

Re: Something that grinds my gears

BakaBlake wrote:
toonjoey wrote:

Furries and Sonic fans sent them death threats.

Good community.

Aw, come on, I'm in both of those fandoms! Why do the fandoms I take part in have to be such dicks?

Think about it this way: Every tree has a rotten apple. Yes, the majority of it can be good apples, but there still can be at least one rotten one. I mean most fandoms do have some of those people that are like that.
I like making these kinds of connections

So what my OC/FC is a Yoshi I was a Mario fan longer than I have been a Sonic fan

8

Re: Something that grinds my gears

AquaTheYoshi wrote:
BakaBlake wrote:
toonjoey wrote:

Furries and Sonic fans sent them death threats.

Good community.

Aw, come on, I'm in both of those fandoms! Why do the fandoms I take part in have to be such dicks?

Think about it this way: Every tree has a rotten apple. Yes, the majority of it can be good apples, but there still can be at least one rotten one. I mean most fandoms do have some of those people that are like that.
I like making these kinds of connections

Nice analogy. I like that.

G O T T A   R U N   Q U I C K L Y

9

Re: Something that grinds my gears

BakaBlake wrote:
toonjoey wrote:

Furries and Sonic fans sent them death threats.

Good community.

Aw, come on, I'm in both of those fandoms! Why do the fandoms I take part in have to be such dicks?

If you think that's bad, check out the Toontown community. There's a guy who took over leadership for a server, was a jerk, left the staff, then threatened his own staff with a legal team and leaked code.

toG E T H E R
insert lyrics here

10

Re: Something that grinds my gears

toonjoey wrote:
BakaBlake wrote:
toonjoey wrote:

Furries and Sonic fans sent them death threats.

Good community.

Aw, come on, I'm in both of those fandoms! Why do the fandoms I take part in have to be such dicks?

If you think that's bad, check out the Toontown community. There's a guy who took over leadership for a server, was a jerk, left the staff, then threatened his own staff with a legal team and leaked code.

Is that person in particular Cam?

G O T T A   R U N   Q U I C K L Y

11

Re: Something that grinds my gears

BakaBlake wrote:
toonjoey wrote:
BakaBlake wrote:

Aw, come on, I'm in both of those fandoms! Why do the fandoms I take part in have to be such dicks?

If you think that's bad, check out the Toontown community. There's a guy who took over leadership for a server, was a jerk, left the staff, then threatened his own staff with a legal team and leaked code.

Is that person in particular Cam?

Nope, that's someone else.

toG E T H E R
insert lyrics here