26

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Yes we'll be doing world rotations in AXSX, I'm assuming  the world rotations were still in the original engine when levels seen in the VHS were shot, And from the same time frame, there are a few levels that had layouts for rotational gameplay like many of the Death Egg levels, that were leaked, and even the later V053 build of the level editor have rotation setup tools available. Level rotations are optional by switching them on or off related to if Sonic is standing on a texture that has a level rotation mode flag imbedded into its settings and combination of being in ball mode.

AXSX uses the same rule except we didn't use ball mode to enable rotation mode if standing on a rotation flagged texture like the original game did, because at the time we set up our feature, we didn't have any playable xtreme leaks to play with, we'll add the ball roll rotation functon into AXSX but only for playing in the original ported levels mode of the game.

AXSX's main levels allow sonic to rotate levels just by running on flagged textures as seen in the video here https://youtu.be/kAEg94TrAJc

AXSX Lead

27

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Rewatching death egg I see what you're saying, it does seem like there's elements that would rotate when in ball formation, so it makes sense. I could also imagine it would be very annoying to scrap all your work just to put in the standing ball formation for things like https://youtu.be/qdBKq7o6RTE?t=1m37s that

One other question I had, is that in the VHS demo, it seems like the loops and such, aka the wacky snake ways, that it was automated. Watching the video you set out, I saw wacky snake ways are more controllable, specifically the level with all the loops that has yellow platforms. Will the original levels be planned to have automated wacky snake ways, and the new levels let you be more in control like shown?

28

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

In AXSX, the snake ways keep sonic on a path that he can not leave, and he is fully controllable, ( A sort of 2.5D mode)  but there are paths that are automated because it would be impossible to run on them,( these will be rare) than the last way to play is to have the paths that are fully controllable, and sonic can jump out of and leave them . all 3 have been done in the UDK build, and yes we will include the ball rolling mode for the V37 type levels so you'll be able to do what you see in that video.

AXSX Lead

29

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Just a quick question about the VHS footage, did Chris Senn send it online or did it somehow leak onto the internet without any authority?

30

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

So will there be certain level types, as in v37 levels and PC demo levels? I'm still a little confused on the snake paths, because of how the speed works. In some videos I've seen spin dashing on to the snake path, and others where you can just walk on to the paths like https://youtu.be/6IOd0mQ-uXE?t=26s in new worlds. I'm not sure how it supposedly worked in xtreme, maybe it just gives you a speed boost or something of the like? It starts out slow and then it goes really fast with all the crazy camera angles and stuff. I'm actually just kind of intrigued on how the PC demo snake ways worked.

31

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Yeah I'm not sure how the paths worked in the original game myself, it looks like they have both automated and 2.5 d locked on paths with freedom of movement where sonic is not automated. We will never know until that build of the game leaks.

AXSX Lead

32

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Taco of Curiosity wrote:

Just a quick question about the VHS footage, did Chris Senn send it online or did it somehow leak onto the internet without any authority?

Chris shared them online.

AXSX Lead

33

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Andrew75 wrote:

We will never know until that build of the game leaks.

You're funny, Andrew.

So the AXSX paths will be mostly 2.5D locked, with the wacky super loop-de-loop ones being automated? Although I'm not sure how powerful the spin dash is, as in if a spindash will be powerful enough to zip through the snake ways when fully charged and such.

34

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

MetalSonicCD wrote:
Andrew75 wrote:

We will never know until that build of the game leaks.

You're funny, Andrew.

So the AXSX paths will be mostly 2.5D locked, with the wacky super loop-de-loop ones being automated? Although I'm not sure how powerful the spin dash is, as in if a spindash will be powerful enough to zip through the snake ways when fully charged and such.

Spin dash and running really fast keeps Sonic on the super twisty paths. Even the wacky super loop-de-loop paths.  And yes, while ha's fully controllable, think of it as if Sonic is on a loop in the classic games. You press the opposite direction to stop for instance, so if sonic is running away from the screen, you press back and he'll stop than run in the opposite direction.

The only path that I had automated was at the end of Jade Gully, Its actually still using the Sonic gameplay physics, but I disabled the player controls for the duration of the path, and have an invisible speed booster fire sonic off at the beginning of the path. (I may just give players the ability to jump off all of the paths in the game, so that they can always feel in control of sonic. ( but yeah i'm not sure right now) havnt gotten to them in the unreal 4 build yet to further test)



There are some loop Paths in here, and a free run loop too lol using 2.5D type gameplay. when you get to the Jade gully section, there is a automated path at the end of that stage. and at 14:17 there are 2 paths for red sands that is not automated, but 2.5D, sonic can even run towards the screen or to the background using the 2.5D rail system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHEjx7- … p;index=10


Also near the start of this video , it shows the 2.5D rail system, None of the paths here are automated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAEg94T … p;index=12

AXSX Lead

35

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

I've been looking over E3 and the PC DEMO footage and I can see how most of these paths don't need to be automated, except New worlds because its like a fucking roller coaster everywhere.  I think what's throwing me off about the snake ways you've shown in your demos consist of two things. The first being the smoothness of the snake ways, my example being https://youtu.be/RpfMxNi5bAI?t=5m32s which shows something that can be considered automated, but it's extremely smooth. I know you've rebuilt Crystal frost, is the same kind of smoothness achievable, if that makes sense. The second being the camera angles, in line with the depth. In the VHS footage, and any other footage for that matters, besides again new worlds, the snake ways always show sonic riding them right in front of the camera looping around and such, where as AXSX (referring to 2014 SAGE) has the snake ways that give the Z axis. The camera more or less follows sonic then Sonic moves along with where the camera goes, if that makes any kind of sense. None of these are bad things, mind you, I just like to explain why I'm so hell bent on the snake ways. They fascinate me.

36

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Would be nice to actually play with the original game to see how they felt huh? And yeah the same kind of smoothness can be achieved as in crystal frost. My camera from UDK build had a lot of flexibility. We could do a lot with it. When you say the camera follows sonic, I'm not sure what your referring to.

AXSX Lead

37 (edited by MetalSonicCD 2017-02-12 13:51:14)

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

It frustrates me to no end because we have no idea why some you could walk in to, others speed boosted, if you could stop or change direction, just none of it had any rhyme or reason.

Let me explain the camera thing in more detail, or try to at least. So first we have https://youtu.be/bHEjx7-BjpQ?t=2m19s which consists of running towards, away, and along side the camera. The camera moves Up, down, left, right, and it zooms in. However, the camera follows Sonic in a way where when sonic runs, it will move up and down, at angle, showing more parts of his body. The camera dynamically follows Sonic as he runs, to shorten the explanation.

However, and example such as https://youtu.be/wzvS_beXtXk?t=52s in crystal frost, shows the camera only moves up down left right and zooms in and out. There is no angling, sonic always stays in the same animation the entire time regardless of depth or movement of the camera. In Xtreme we can say the only thing moving is the camera, while Sonic stays in the center in the same animation.

38

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Oh that's because I have the camera set up there to rotate with sonic lol, the camera can have lots of settings and modes. you didn't see the AXSX video with the locked camera I take it . Also the path in jade gully and red sands use some paths and the camera does not rotate, each path can have its own camera settings based on textures applied.

AXSX Lead

39 (edited by MetalSonicCD 2017-02-12 13:59:13)

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Andrew75 wrote:

Oh that's because I have the camera set up there to rotate with sonic lol, the camera can have lots of settings and modes. you didn't see the AXSX video with the locked camera I take it .

Is it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zGUoiNFxTs

I know the camera is locked in this, but there's no snake ways, so I just wasn't sure.

If it's this

40

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

If you're referring to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iImBtvXtXrk the snake ways never go in a Z axis (or at least they don't look like it)

41

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Snskeways with locked camera, u must have missed it lol. https://youtu.be/kAEg94TrAJc

AXSX Lead

42

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

MetalSonicCD wrote:

If you're referring to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iImBtvXtXrk the snake ways never go in a Z axis (or at least they don't look like it)

These are actually not snake ways here, this level is built out of 100% blocks, while snake ways use splines to form the paths.

AXSX Lead

43

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Andrew75 wrote:

Snskeways with locked camera, u must have missed it lol. https://youtu.be/kAEg94TrAJc

Yeah I see what you mean, there's barely any snake way footage so it's kind of easy to miss (for me at least). The Jade gully one definitely looks like Xtreme VHS, but the test level something just seems weird or different. Maybe it's the speed because it doesn't zip by, or maybe because it goes in more of a Z axis, I'm not sure.

I mean you get what I'm saying right? I don't know if it's just me at this point, the camera is fixed but it just seems like something is different?

44

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

MetalSonicCD wrote:
Andrew75 wrote:

Snskeways with locked camera, u must have missed it lol. https://youtu.be/kAEg94TrAJc

Yeah I see what you mean, there's barely any snake way footage so it's kind of easy to miss (for me at least). The Jade gully one definitely looks like Xtreme VHS, but the test level something just seems weird or different. Maybe it's the speed because it doesn't zip by, or maybe because it goes in more of a Z axis, I'm not sure.

I mean you get what I'm saying right? I don't know if it's just me at this point, the camera is fixed but it just seems like something is different?

Yeah sonic is not using the same physics as he used in sonic xtreme, we're using physics from sonic 1. Also my test path is much longer than crystal frosts paths. I built that path to test all kinds of run angles on a single path to make sure gameplay worked everywhere. That level won't be released publicly or anything . Maybe as unlockable.

AXSX Lead

45

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Oh really? They looked pretty similar, but then again we barely saw how the physics actually worked or felt in Xtreme.

46

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Andrew75 wrote:
Taco of Curiosity wrote:

Just a quick question about the VHS footage, did Chris Senn send it online or did it somehow leak onto the internet without any authority?

Chris shared them online.

That's what I thought, thanks! smile

-Taco smile

47 (edited by toonjoey 2017-02-23 17:38:03)

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Andrew75 wrote:

Would be nice to actually play with the original game to see how they felt huh? And yeah the same kind of smoothness can be achieved as in crystal frost. My camera from UDK build had a lot of flexibility. We could do a lot with it. When you say the camera follows sonic, I'm not sure what your referring to.

I once had a cool idea that used a level viewer source and docs for paths that would play the actual level. You couldn't interact with stuff, but paths would work. Sadly the idea is now gone. sad

EDIT:

MetalSonicCD wrote:

Oh really? They looked pretty similar, but then again we barely saw how the physics actually worked or felt in Xtreme.

We actually got a taste of what X-tremes physics did look like in v37. It was pretty sloppy.

EDIT AGAIN:

Andrew75 wrote:

Yeah I'm not sure how the paths worked in the original game myself, it looks like they have both automated and 2.5 d locked on paths with freedom of movement where sonic is not automated. We will never know until that build of the game leaks.

Andrew75 wrote:

We will never know until that build of the game leaks.

Andrew75 wrote:

until that build of the game leaks.

Andrew75 wrote:

that build of the game leaks.

Is that you jolly? Are you back from the dead to leak v53 ported to modern windows? Are we getting NEW WORLDS?

toG E T H E R
insert lyrics here

48

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Question, When you say Layout ideas do you mean ideas for a brand new level?
Curious since i do have 'tiles' for a older game i was messing around with but never finished.
I'll have to fix them upa bit before hand but i can post them after?

Fuck it's been along time since posted something, uh, huh, I really need to help out lmao, I've been too busy making my own Saturn game i haven't really done shit >w>

49

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Av wrote:

Question, When you say Layout ideas do you mean ideas for a brand new level?
Curious since i do have 'tiles' for a older game i was messing around with but never finished.
I'll have to fix them upa bit before hand but i can post them after?

Yes level layouts , or sections of level layouts!

AXSX Lead

50

Re: Level Layout ideas wanted!

Andrew75 wrote:
Av wrote:

Question, When you say Layout ideas do you mean ideas for a brand new level?
Curious since i do have 'tiles' for a older game i was messing around with but never finished.
I'll have to fix them upa bit before hand but i can post them after?

Yes level layouts , or sections of level layouts!

Radical, I'll let you know if i come up with anything then, Thanks Andy

Fuck it's been along time since posted something, uh, huh, I really need to help out lmao, I've been too busy making my own Saturn game i haven't really done shit >w>