51 (edited by CHAPAPA96 2010-12-30 17:36:19)

Re: Sonic Xtreme Christmas Demo (Version 0.1)

Not really a bug but sonic's shadow does not rotate with him
http://xeniczone.com/axsx/punbb/misc.php?item=11&download=0

Music that's cool that I have been into recently...
-Genesis: Suppers ready & I know what I like
-Egg: The civil surface (the whole album)
-Yes: Close to The Edge

52 (edited by Kaffeebohnson 2010-12-30 17:42:57)

For me the demo gets stuck at the title screen. It tells me how to play and to press space to close the message - then it tells me to press start - but I pushed every button on the keyboard, nothing seems to work! Is this a bug or am I simply stupid?(note that pressing space works at the tutorial screen)

framerate: 60

System: Win98 on a Macbook Pro

Kaffeebohnson wrote:

For me the demo gets stuck at the title screen. It tells me how to play and to press space to close the message - then it tells me to press start - but I pushed every button on the keyboard, nothing seems to work! Is this a bug or am I simply stupid?(note that pressing space works at the tutorial screen)

For me you have to press the Enter key

looks like you can walk on the side of the ice and even into the ice. If you land half way between the ledge of the ice and the floor sonic starts falling and standing at the same time then he is able to walk on the edge of the ice.
http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l583/ednoone/inice.jpg?t=1293745582

^This is my post, and this is my signature <--

D'oy... Guess I missed a key.

i have to report that i tried loading it on my computer and it gets to the axsx screen and it freezes (new license and all)

PunBB bbcode testhttp://i.gpxpl.us/FbCYd/s.png
http://vdexproject.net/p/27917/trainer.png http://vdexproject.net/p/27917/party.png

seems like there is no collision detection while sliding, is that a glitch?

^This is my post, and this is my signature <--

@ednoone's ice glitch: You can slowly walk towards an ice ledge, sonic will begin to jitter between two animations, and you can slowly inch him onto the side of the wall. It only seems to work on the ice ledges.

misc.: I find myself jumping off the level very often. I don't know if this would be faithful to X-Treme or even Sonic games in general, to have some invisible walls at the edges so you can't fall of the playing field?

Kaffeebohnson wrote:

D'oy... Guess I missed a key.

Man, lol, you are too much.  I'm laughing so hard over this.  I made it that way because I thought one may miss getting a good look at the title screen if I made it enter to close the "how to" part.  Basically what happens is you push enter and it closes the "how to" part and activates start.  So I made one spacebar and one enter.  Sorry for the confusion.

milenko wrote:

i have to report that i tried loading it on my computer and it gets to the axsx screen and it freezes (new license and all)

If you are seeing the AXSX Screen then your license is working. No worry about that.  Could you give the specs of your computer?  Andrew has been telling me their is a glitch with some sound cards that can cause the game to hang for a while while loading.

ednoone wrote:

seems like there is no collision detection while sliding, is that a glitch?

No, lol, I forgot to program it.  I guess you could say it is a glitch big_smile.

Kaffeebohnson wrote:

misc.: I find myself jumping off the level very often. I don't know if this would be faithful to X-Treme or even Sonic games in general, to have some invisible walls at the edges so you can't fall of the playing field?

We've been talking about this a lot, and are truly unsure of an answer.  The three options where, balance on the edge, which is what we tried in this demo though very incomplete, straight forward falling, and using invisible walls to catch sonic, we are just unsure.

Game is working well for me now. Thanks! smile

This demo runs at 25-30fps for me, nearly going up to 40 when there is nothing on the screen. This is coming from my Windows 7 Starter 32-bit netbook, my proccesor being an Intel Atom CPU N450 at 1.66GHz with DirectX 11.

You know what they say...

All toasters toast bread, not toast!

Man, lol, you are too much.  I'm laughing so hard over this.  I made it that way because I thought one may miss getting a good look at the title screen if I made it enter to close the "how to" part.  Basically what happens is you push enter and it closes the "how to" part and activates start.  So I made one spacebar and one enter.  Sorry for the confusion.

milenko wrote:

If you are seeing the AXSX Screen then your license is working. No worry about that.  Could you give the specs of your computer?  Andrew has been telling me their is a glitch with some sound cards that can cause the game to hang for a while while loading.

yes i have no sound on my computer

PunBB bbcode testhttp://i.gpxpl.us/FbCYd/s.png
http://vdexproject.net/p/27917/trainer.png http://vdexproject.net/p/27917/party.png

Omega wrote:

There is a serious error with some polygons not being properly connected allowing sonic to fall yikes
I finally got some error pics:
http://xeniczone.com/axsx/punbb/misc.php?item=7&amp;download=0

Shouldn't that crystal sprite on the right side of the screen-shot rotate to face the camera at all times? (For example, like the trees in Super Mario 64) That's how I always thought sprites were handled in 3d.

Ohrite! I forgot my system specs yikes

Macbook Pro
Intel Core i7 620M 2.66 GHz
8 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (with 512 MB)
1680x1050 Resolution

Running Windows XP 32-Bit on Bootcamp, and if it is plugged in to a power source, I get a very reliable 60 FPS. It wavers a bit in battery mode, but it's still good.

Anyway, the XP stats are:

Core i7 620M @ 1.17GHz out of 2.66 GHz
4 GB Ram usable, 2.17 GB usable by the user, Physical Address Extensions enabled
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (with 512 MB)
1680x1050 Resolution (32-bit color depth)

Will try on older windows versions when my video finishes uploading.

64 (edited by CHAPAPA96 2010-12-30 20:47:45)

specs: OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version    6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
System Model    Inspiron 537s
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7500  @ 2.93GHz, 2926 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical
I get 60 FPS all the time yay big_smile 
thanks to Moop for telling me how to check what my specs were big_smile

65 (edited by Moop 2010-12-30 20:41:38)

2 places to check your specs.

Right click My Computer and click properties, or...
Start/windows button --> run --> msinfo32 (Complete analysis)

For macs, just use the system profiler (Or Apple button --> About this mac --> more details {or w/e it says})

66 (edited by CHAPAPA96 2010-12-30 20:52:53)

synchronizer wrote:
Omega wrote:

There is a serious error with some polygons not being properly connected allowing sonic to fall yikes
I finally got some error pics:
http://xeniczone.com/axsx/punbb/misc.php?item=7&amp;download=0

Shouldn't that crystal sprite on the right side of the screen-shot rotate to face the camera at all times? (For example, like the trees in Super Mario 64) That's how I always thought sprites were handled in 3d.

Yeah i noticed that too. they look a little flat the way they are right now. Although in the real sonic xtreme that they showed at E3 the rocks didn't do the super mario 64 thing

67 (edited by Moop 2010-12-31 00:22:17)

At long last I finally managed to get that glitch video up!
(Warning: Big .AVI file, 23 minutes, zipped in the .zipx file format. Mac users need this tool to play it in Quicktime (http://www.perian.org). Anything after the 22:50 mark is me trying to find the stop button, and I'm not the person in the background picture, FYI)

Enjoy:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LL8LHHPW

Edit: I forgot to add, the music did not get recorded...

In other news, I just tested it on Windows 95 & 98. The Windows 95 VM uses 896 MB RAM and says the processor is a Pentium Pro. The resolution is 1440x900, 24-bit depth. The game did NOT work, but the error said I must use 16 or 32 bit color modes. I tried 16 bit and I got the same error. I think it WOULD work on a native Windows 95 machine with Directx 8.0a, considering the minimum requirements for Game Maker 7 (& 8) is Directx 8 or higher.

On Windows 98, with 1 GB RAM and it says a Pentium II, with the resolution being 1440x900 and 24 bit color depth gives the same error, so I tried 16 bit. (32-bit does not work with Windows 9x without hacks.) Note that Windows 98 uses Directx 9.0c, just like Windows XP, so it should work, but it seems really slow and hangs the sound driver, causing a system slowdown and I have to force quit all of the programs and shut down (mouse becomes unusable). This may all just be Norton 2003's fault though, since that's known to be a memory hog. However, I read in this thread that someone is using it with Windows 98, so... At least it works better than Windows 95 smile

It would probably work best with native machines instead of VMs, but I don't have any of those... yet...

Final edit: AXSX does not work with CrossOver Mac. I do have other systems to try it on, though.

Okay guys, i think we have enough bug reports to last us till next release,
This will keep us busy for awhile big_smile
However keep posting specs and FPS, this is very useful.

For next release,
you can look forward to a bit of a level layout change.

EDIT: Going to have to check that video out Moop.
seems you put alot of time into it!

AXSX Lead

One more thing: the game crashed when I minimized it so I could work on programming my gamepad.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/MithosYggdrasil/SonicJazzColor_zps4ecc7d8a.png

OmochaoAbuser wrote:

One more thing: the game crashed when I minimized it so I could work on programming my gamepad.

yeah... alt-tabbing it makes it be horridly screwed up.

Our house
In the middle of our street!

Omega wrote:
OmochaoAbuser wrote:

Probably due to Game maker ? lol

AXSX Lead

72 (edited by Kaffeebohnson 2010-12-31 03:59:57)

Alt-ing out of the game works flawlessly for me (the resolution does not change though), something i found very impressive. Here is something I found last night, I think most of it was already covered.

1. holding space makes sonic jump continually. is that intentional? hitting jump while under a low ceiling makes sonic jump up and down frantically, you should not be able to jump under those "one-block-high" ledges.

2. jumping on a declining slope makes sonic jump diagonally into the air. The physics seem to rotate with him.

3. you can carefully inch Sonic onto the vertical face of wall surrounding the water tiles:

http://xeniczone.com/axsx/punbb/misc.php?item=13&amp;download=1

4. holding right+down from the start makes you fall through the floor at a certain point.

5. sliding to a halt has no clipping and can get you fall through walls etc.

6. When standing on frozen water, i.e. half a unit lower than the normal ground, the camera looks through the ground:

http://xeniczone.com/axsx/punbb/misc.php?item=12&amp;download=1

Finally, an instant restart would be nice. Since falling off the map is so common right now, it gets a little tedious after a while to wait through the title screens all the time. A restart button for testing purposes would be very comfortable.

Kaffeebohnson wrote:

1. holding space makes sonic jump continually. is that intentional? hitting jump while under a low ceiling makes sonic jump up and down frantically, you should not be able to jump under those "one-block-high" ledges.

I however love this fact and think sonic should be able to jump wherever he wants i was literally doing tricks around the level loads of fun  cool

I found this a bit irritating. The same could be achieved with the right timing of jumps, even adding a bit of skill to the mechanic. I'm curious if this is by design.

Andrew75 wrote:
Omega wrote:
OmochaoAbuser wrote:

Probably due to Game maker ? lol

You can't minimize anything running Directx. You can only start the Directx-using program in full screen or in windowed mode.

Alt-tab for me only screws it up sometimes, but that's also because of the nature of Directx. It can't handle these kinds of screen changes for whatever reason.

Kaffeebohnson wrote:

Alt-ing out of the game works flawlessly for me (the resolution does not change though), something i found very impressive. Here is something I found last night, I think most of it was already covered.

That's also due to Directx. If you try to change the resolution, the game will quit out on its own.

techdiff wrote:
Kaffeebohnson wrote:

I however love this fact and think sonic should be able to jump wherever he wants i was literally doing tricks around the level loads of fun

I like the jumping thingy, too. It makes it easier to get to places when you get the hang of it.