Topic: Sonic Xtreme Christmas Demo (Version 0.1)

Intro
This is the initial release of Sonic Xtreme Christmas Demo (V 0.1) to all Elite-Members.  The purpose of this release is for Elite Members to debug the Christmas Demo before we start releasing it to the general public.  We like to be very friendly to our forum members and give them special privileges just for participating on these forums.  One of these privileges is to test our demos out before people get to see them.

What is it?
This demo is pretty basic, it is just Sonic running around on the level. Their isn't really anything to do.  The original idea was for Sonic to collect 200 rings to beat the game, but after adding the rings to the game we noticed a huge glitch with the ring system that caused the game's frame rate to drop to piss poor performance.  We were searching for a fix, but decided to just delete the rings and release the demo rather then making you, the Elite Member, wait another day.  More stuff will be added as we update this demo before its public debut.

Glitch Reporting
Your job as the Elite Member, is to play the game and report any glitches to us.  We know that Version 0.1 has quite a few glitches but is still very playable.  In a good glitch report we would be looking for the following.

• Description: The glitch occurred when I was... After that Sonic... etc.

• FrameRate: 55 Located in the bottom right corner.  Different glitches can occur at different framerates, since Andrew and I normally get 60fps all the time we may never notice them.

• Picture (optional): Pictures are helpful but are not required.  Normally a good description is all that is needed to replicate a glitch.

Rules
Because Version 0.1 is very unpolished and full of problems or bugs we don't want to start giving our project a bad rap by releasing a lot of media about the game just yet.  So the rules for this release are as follow.

• Application Sharing:  Sharing this application (*.EXE) or any of the applications resources is strictly prohibited.  The resources and the game are unfinished and are not intended for public viewing, only for testing by Admin approved Elite-Members.

• License Sharing: You will learn more about this later in the article.  The game requires a license to launch.  Sharing your license is prohibited and can lead to problems for you.  (read about the license for more information)

• Screenshot Sharing: Do not share screens of the game/demo.  This demo is intended for your, the Elite-Member's, eyes only.

• Video Sharing: Do not share videos/motion picture of the game/demo.  This demo is intended for your, the Elite-Member's, eyes only.

• Text Review: We are so-so on this.  We believe in the freedom of speech, but we prefer the reviews, whether good or bad, not be written, but we don't mind you saying you have the demo or making a comment about it.  The demo is just version 0.1 so writing a full-on review about how good or how bad it is really won't hold any water.

• Link Sharing: Do not share the link with non-elite and non-forum members.

Licensing
In order to protect ourselves from unauthorized use, we are requiring a licensing system to be in place.  Once the game has been downloaded, you will need to email me, using the email button in the bottom left of the post, and request a license.  I will then send you a license file through email.  You will then place the license in the root directory of the game.

Without the license the game will fail to launch.  The license is to ensure that the rules are followed in regard to the release of the game.  You must protect your license file.  Sending the demo to other people, (eg. friends, members of other forums), means you will have to send them your license file in order for the game to launch.  Once your have lost control of your license file, by giving to another person who may then in turn share it with someone else,  may result in the demo being shared on the internet, and guess who's license is going to be with that game, and that is the person who gets punished, not the one sharing the game online.

P.S.
You may post any information regarding the demo in this thread.  This includes Glitch reports, comments, etc.

P.S.S.
Not that anybody has done this yet, but please wait at least 24 hours after sending the E-Mail to get a reply before sending another email.  I don't need an E-Mail every 10 mins from the same person asking for a license.

P.S.S.S.
Refrain from using ImageShack or other image host sites to show your pictures of glitches or problems.  These sites do not contain the image within the Elite-Member community, and is basically releasing them to the public.

As Elite-Members you have the ability to upload attachments to the forums.  You may do video recording under two circumstances.

• Option 1:  You upload the video as an attachment to the forums.  This may work, and may not work, depending on the file size.  If it doesn't work you may try option 2.

• Option 2:  You may upload the video as a private video on YouTube and add "Xeniczone" and "Andrew75" to the viewing list.  This means the video must be private, not unlisted, and definitely not listed.

Download
Download Here!

Re: Sonic Xtreme Christmas Demo (Version 0.1)

the root of the file is where the exe is right ???

PunBB bbcode testhttp://i.gpxpl.us/FbCYd/s.png
http://vdexproject.net/p/27917/trainer.png http://vdexproject.net/p/27917/party.png

^ Correct, the Root of the folder is the folder where the EXE is.

P.S.S.
Not that anybody has done this yet, but please wait at least 24 hours after sending the E-Mail to get a reply before sending another email.  I don't need an E-Mail every 10 mins from the same person asking for a license.

Whelp that is all I can think of, to the people who have the license, I hope you enjoy the first released beta of the Christmas demo.  Their are many more improvements to come.  I'm done signing licenses tonight, so enjoy, probably won't be back on it for 10 hrs.

4 (edited by Moop 2010-12-29 22:11:10)

Yay!

Ok, so we post our glitches/findings here?
Can it be in a video with time markers to show when each occurs (uploaded via the attachments, of course)?

Just a warning: I'm known to be EXTREMELY thorough.

Err... it seems as though it will not run on either system.  It loads and then crashes after the resolution changes.

Our house
In the middle of our street!

did everything right still cant get it to open  hmm

I put the license in the  ROOT folder try to open it I can see concept art then it just goes back I installed a version 9 of Directx and still am unable to play the demo. im using windows vista currently

any suggestions  tongue

Omega wrote:

Err... it seems as though it will not run on either system.  It loads and then crashes after the resolution changes.

both on my woncerful acer aspire 5534 and my custom built system.

Our house

Omega wrote:
Omega wrote:

both on my woncerful acer aspire 5534 and my custom built system.

Did you get a License file emailed to you omega?

AXSX Lead

techdiff wrote:

did everything right still cant get it to open  hmm

I put the license in the  ROOT folder try to open it I can see concept art then it just goes back I installed a version 9 of Directx and still am unable to play the demo. im using windows vista currently

any suggestions  tongue

let me re-email you a Licence, hold on.

AXSX Lead

I must say, this license system is a great idea. I think more people should use this (including big games companies--I know many of them don't).
Can't wait to try this tomorrow! I'll be sure to check each part of the level.

Ahh... yeah, I need a new one. tongue

Our house

Omega wrote:

Ahh... yeah, I need a new one. tongue

Actually may have to wait for Xeniczone to respond for this issue,
seems to be a glitch caused by the License system that is set up.
I cant seem to generate any working licenses.

Seems the crashes you guys are experiencing is to to
the license not working.

EDIT:
Wait wait,,,, i think i got a work around for this ...
stay tuned for an email Omega got you a working license

AXSX Lead

13 (edited by Omega 2010-12-30 00:02:13)

Bug 1: when sonic walks on the edge towards the front of the level, he tends to fall off.

Our house

bug 2: Gravity shifting (presumably for slopes and the likes) can be abused where a 90 degree angle corner is.  if you walk slowly and let sonic jitter then you can eventually have something like this:
http://i55.tinypic.com/i70w3t.png

Our house

Omega wrote:

bug 2: Gravity shifting (presumably for slopes and the likes) can be abused where a 90 degree angle corner is.  if you walk slowly and let sonic jitter then you can eventually have something like this:
http://i55.tinypic.com/i70w3t.png

Yeah , this here bug is because of the collision system hasn't been feign tuned yet,
it only happens on edges of blocks that are 50%-1% lower than the block sonic is standing on.
for example the water area.

also look out for Running Diagonal , collision system not set for Diagonals yet

AXSX Lead

Bug 3 (possibly related to bug 2) I jumped on the 45-ish degree slanted piece and the whole level became disoriented.
http://i53.tinypic.com/jtoz08.png

Our house

Omega wrote:

Bug 3 (possibly related to bug 2) I jumped on the 45-ish degree slanted piece and the whole level became disoriented.
http://i53.tinypic.com/jtoz08.png

can you reproduce this ? where were you jumping from?

AXSX Lead

umm yeah im having a booting problem too it loads up then crashes (yes i have a license)

PunBB bbcode testhttp://i.gpxpl.us/FbCYd/s.png
http://vdexproject.net/p/27917/trainer.png http://vdexproject.net/p/27917/party.png

milenko wrote:

umm yeah I'm having a booting problem too it loads up then crashes (yes i have a license)

Yeah Xeniczone will have to look into this when he has time.
However I'm sure its related to the license not fully being able to generate compatible keys for the engine at this point.

AXSX Lead

20 (edited by ednoone 2010-12-30 01:17:09)

hey andrew should we ask you or xeniczone for the license?

^This is my post, and this is my signature <--

I didn't test any of the licenese I sent out last night.  I will test them and report back.  If the game loads up then "crashes,"  The game is NOT crashing, it is failing to see a license file and closing.

I will run some tests and get back to you guys on this.

Yeah, you can record video and upload them here.  I forgot to mention, Please make sure your uploading the pictures of the game using the attachment system on the forums.  If your uploading them to Imageshack or something your kind of publishing it wink

License Problem
I have discovered a problem in the license system that is creating invalid licenses.  When I have solved the problem, I will start reissuing the licenses, but until then hang tight.

License Problem should be resolved.  I reprogrammed a new Serial Generator that should no be compatible with the game.

22 (edited by Moop 2010-12-30 11:45:47)

That is a really nice demo.
I just went through the entire level, and I found mostly the same few glitches... but for whatever reason Windows Media Encoder only recorded the first 8 seconds, and I lost about an hour of work. I'm trying again with CamStudio.

In the meantime, I found a couple of issues (Mostly collision and gravity).
(My framerate only ever dropped below 60 at the title screen. The first time I started it up it was 13, but quickly increased, and once it dropped to 57, but that was it)

-The same thing happened to me as Omega, except I would completely turn sideways and fall off whenever I touched a 90 degree angle a certain way. (I could jump on 45s just fine, though)

-At the very beginning, you can run through a part where 2 blocks meet and look like this (The Xs are nothing):

XXXXX -------
XXXXX |Block|
---------------
|Block| XXXXX
------- XXXXX

If you run from the top left Xs to the bottom right ones, going through the corner, you'll fall through the floor. If there is Ice in the bottom right set of Xs, you'll fall onto the floor under the Ice.

-Also at the beginning, there is a large pillar that looks like an L. If you go through the corner of the L from behind (The inside of the angle) you'll go through it.

-There is a part near the beginning where, if you start and run diagonally, you'll hit it and fall through the floor.

-When Sonic runs at top speed on the ice, he can go through stuff. Most notably, on the furthest right large ice patch of the stage, you can run through the small pillar and
__
/  \
\_/ <-- through this part of the 'Tree' stump

-When at the top of the level, on the really skinny parts, Sonic can get 'Hooked' on the edge of the 1 block wide parts, and get stuck. If you jump, sometimes you move at the speed with which you entered the 'hooked' state, and you can fly in a direction instead of just jumping out of it.

-The edge animation doesn't always happen.

-Jumping from the diagonal ramp onto the tree, I noticed I would go sideways, then land on a corner of a tree block and then, if I pushed left a little, I would go on the block and revert the gravity back to normal.

-Sometimes, when coming out of a jump, Sonic will roll a bit (maybe intentional?)

-Sometimes, when jumping onto a corner of this little pit by the diagonal in the above picture, Sonic will bounce and fly up really high.

-(This happens a lot) If you clip an edge when jumping from the the front of the screen into an object further back, or even doing the same thing from right to left, you'll go through the object, or get stuck in it and slowly move in the same direction you went into it at (You can move yourself to fall out of it where you want, though).

Some of these you may have already said they happen for a reason, and you know about them. I'm just posting my findings.

Edit: I'm videotaping all of them.

Yeah, you can record video and upload them here.  I forgot to mention, Please make sure your uploading the pictures of the game using the attachment system on the forums.  If your uploading them to Imageshack or something your kind of publishing it wink

oops  tongue

Our house

Moop wrote:

That is a really nice demo.
-Jumping from the diagonal ramp onto the tree, I noticed I would go sideways, then land on a corner of a tree block and then, if I pushed left a little, I would go on the block and revert the gravity back to normal.

Nice Finds Moop! And thanks for taking the time to post the results!
some of them are new to me,

For the Jumps from non rotational ramps,
We have yet to implement a world gravity system.
right now gravity works relative to whatever angle sonic last interacted with.

Yes yes, i know this is a bad illustration, with the crooked fall ,
just wanted to show the fall angle relative to jump.
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/295/jumpo.png

P.S. Waiting for the pictures to see the other areas.
P.P.S. Be careful not to hit diagonal directions you will walk threw all walls with this.

AXSX Lead

@xeniczone: I just sent you a licence request wink